Anybody allergic to fish or seafood?

Started by festus, January 05, 2019, 06:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

love all seafood, as long as it's not sharkmeat texture

Quote from: exp2000 on January 06, 2019, 12:55:26 AM
I used to eat a lot of fish when I was younger and I experienced a strange reaction on one specific occasion.
I recall eating that one particular meal because for the next ten years or more, every species of fish tasted exactly the same monotone flavor: it had a kind of off crayfish taste to it!

Kinda spoiled things for me for the longest time but fortunately this peculiarity eventually dissipated and I could once again enjoy the distinct flavors of the various species.
~

had something similar: backpacked for a month, eating mostly fish & developed a short-term aversion
no ill effects, but zero enjoyment of "exactly the same monotone flavor"
mine cleared up in 6 months, though...  didn't even want beloved shellfish, for a month

Quote from: sdlehr on January 05, 2019, 07:09:37 PM
Quote from: David Hall on January 05, 2019, 06:49:32 PM
I grew up fishing with all those mercury warnings, ate everything I caught.  Still kicking too!

Mercury can affect the brain in sublethal doses. This explains a lot :) :)

if he gets furtive & twitchy, just get him a big top-hat   :o

Midway Tommy

Quote from: swill88 on January 06, 2019, 12:30:58 AM
I got confused a bit reading this thread.
Is an allergic reaction to fish at all connected to mercury levels?
I thought these were separate issues.
Steve

They are different issues. Mercury & PCBs are long term health related problems.

Allergic reactions are usually short term but can be quite serious.

My dad got food poisoning from mussels one time shortly after the beginning of a 12 hour drive from northern MN to Omaha. It was a long trip home for him. I had to stop about every 50 miles to find a bath room for him.  ::) We all felt really bad for him. He was sick for about a week afterwards. That was 20 years ago & he still can't stand the thought of eating mussels and he loved them before that. Enough time has passed now that most of family asks him, every now and then, if he wants to go to Red Lobster for mussels.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

wfjord

No allergies to any fish or seafood that I can recall.  I take moderate precaution with how much I consume from waters with mercury warnings (which seems to be almost all rivers, lakes & ponds).  On the other hand, I don't eat anything from waters that have PCB or Dioxin warnings and I don't knowingly fish in waters containing such highly carcinogenic toxins.

Cor

Quote from: alantani on January 05, 2019, 08:36:37 PM
my wife is severely allergic to fish.   :-\
I've heard of a number of people who were hospitalised after eating Yellowtail, some apparently even without eating but just handling the fish.
We constantly get warnings about mercury and polluted fish and seafood because of E coli in the Bay where I live.
I don't think pollution is an issue with the species I catch as they are not resident here, at worst they pass through and go out again in a few days at most.

My wife loves fish and eats it in various forms including sashimi at least 4 days a week, which also brings the issue of parasites to the fore again but she very is healthy and fit.

I no longer have a taste for Yellowtail and eat some once in 14 days.    Tuna, smoked Bonita, squid and Galjoen our winter fish I still enjoy.

Cornelis

festus

Quote from: swill88 on January 06, 2019, 12:30:58 AM
I got confused a bit reading this thread.
Is an allergic reaction to fish at all connected to mercury levels?
I thought these were separate issues.
Steve
Yes, they're two different issues. 

First time I ate clams was at Red Lobster.  An hour or so later after returning to work, I had to run to the bathroom and upchuck.  Several months later I had deep fried clams at Long John Silvers with the same results.  These aren't the best establishments, but Tennessee has slim pickings for seafood restaurants. 

For at least the past 40 years my favorite lake has warning signs posted at all boat docks, ramps, and public parks saying don't eat the catfish, sauger, drum, stripers, carp, and white bass due to mercury, radioactivity, PCBs, and other pollutants.  Oak Ridge, aka "Secret City" is upstream.  The old K-25, Y-12, and ORNL plants set in the watershed of the Tennessee River.  These plants built part of the atomic bomb used during WWII.  I had a chance to work at these plants but turned it down.  Unfortunately, my dad worked 35 years at Y-12 and died an early death at age 58, partially due to being exposed to berylium and many other nasty  carcinogens.

Brewcrafter

There are kind of a bunch of overlapping things here.  Actual toxin buildup from the careless things done to the environment tends to build up as you move up the food chain - and since we as homo sapiens are an apex predator, many times the things we consume have consumed a lot of other things and the toxins (mercury, lead, radiation from Fukashima) just continue to build up.  Frankly while fun to fish I would never consider eating fish from the California Aqueduct - too many stolen cars dumped in that thing.
Allergies - those are rough, and we all are different in that regards.  Shellfish allergies can be WICKED.  Peanut and nut allergies also pretty common.  Fin Fish allergies as well, but from what my allergist told me, less common (I am sensitive to fin fish, but I enjoy frequently but in extreme moderation.  If I overconsume I am hitting my asthma meds)
One thing that is pretty common but I haven't seen talked about here - Scromboid Poisoning.  Apparently it is not uncommon, especially with restaurants, and can be very difficult to differentiate from an "allergic reaction".  It generally happens with Pelagics (hence the "Scromboid" name) and is an issue resulting from poor handling (bacteria begin to break down the fish, and begin to convert compounds in the fish into Histamines...compounds that our bodies don't like).  It can happen anywhere in the Supply Chain (mishandled on the boat, mishandled at the processor, mishandled at the restaurant or the fish market) where if the fish is allowed to warm up even just a little...and unlike those obvious characteristics of spoiled or mishandled fish (ammonia or "fishy" smell, eyes not bright, etc) this form of spoilage is commonly undetectable in taste or aroma.  And the symptoms, which can hit very fast (within a few minutes up to a few hours of ingestion) look very similar to an allergic reaction.  And the treatment (administering antihistamines, etc) is very similar to an allergy treatment.  The only way really to differentiate from what I understand is a blood test (when the local Urgent Care suddenly gets a rash of "fish allergies" in  a very short time) which generally is not done, because it passes quickly once treated.  Thankfully I am pretty sure that the folks are this forum are not the "toss it in a burlap sack on the back deck" crowd but instead are pretty meticulous when we choose to retain fish for consumption.
And entirely unrelated (can you tell my office is right next to our Food Safety guy?) is those neat vacuum packed freezer packages that you get either in the frozen food section (I love my frozen wild caught salmon), or the fish in your local restaurant comes in, or that you get from the top-notch processor after your last Long Range trip?  Do NOT defrost the fish in the package.  The appeal of those packages is they remove all of the air, and so our fish stays in great shape longer.  But, Botulism thrives in an anaerobic (No AIR!) environment, so warming/thawing in that sealed package - not a great idea.  But take the fish out of the package and thaw - plenty of O2 in our environment to prevent it from multiplying, etc.
There are a hell of a lot of folks on this forum that are smarter than me on this stuff, but I wanted to throw it out there, especially when I hear about somebody that normally is fine but suddenly has a "reaction".  I know in my case there appears to be ways we can be tested for true allergies (I have done the whole "skin blister" thing many times) that are probably smarter and less dramatic than the "let's see how much Yellowtail I can eat and still feel fine?" methodology.