Rubber buffer with spring on D-A-M Quick Super 270

Started by festus, January 05, 2019, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I have three Super 270, one functioning and two for parts reels.  None of these have part #24, rubber buffer with spring, or either this part is worn beyond recognition.

Can't really tell what this rubber buffer with spring looks like from the schematic.  Does anyone have a picture of one of these or could you tell me something that would substitute?

oc1

The bumper is the first thing to go on old Spinfishers too.  Without it you get a louder clunk when the bail slams shut and the roller guide will no longer be perpendicular to the spool.  That can throw off the line leveling.
-steve

festus

I checked Sal's sticky tutorial and looks like his is in the same boat. 

Alto Mare

Hello Chester, I'm not sure, but I'm going to guess 99% of these have the missing bumper.  I checked my parts and didn't find one,  Fred might have a few.
You could make your own, it would be a pain, but doable.
I think Fred recommended a spring, I like that option as well.

Usually you will find these bumpers flush with the metal

I pulled the rest of the plastic out and replaced it with a spring, just to give an idea.

It isn't the correct spring, a stiffer one would do better, but it is woorking. The spring is from the DD bridge.
A drop of glue in the hole and it should stay nicely

Lately I've been using the super glue gel, it doesn't run everywhere.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

festus

Hey Sal, is there a trick to get the remainder of the plastic out of there?  Not much left of it to get a grip. 

Alto Mare

Chester, I used that pic you see, it it wider than the usual dental pic.
Any pic should do, work it back and forth and it should come out.
You could also use a drill with a small bit, but it is much safer doing it by hand.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Chester —

One of my DQ Shop Service Manuals dated February, 1983 — shows this part #100-110, was no longer available as of that date.

PM me your address, and I will drop (3) new ones in the mail, along with the springs — Monday.

Fortunately, I stocked up and ordered 100 of these pairs about 40 years ago — am down to 55 as of today.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Thanks Fred, first let me make sure I can extract the old set.  I've already scratched the rotor a wee bit trying but it isn't very noticeable.

oc1

If Fred didn't have every reel part known to man, I would have suggested cutting a piece of plastic wire insulation of the right diameter and gluing it into the hole.
-steve

Alto Mare

Quote from: oc1 on January 06, 2019, 06:27:23 AM
If Fred didn't have every reel part known to man, I would have suggested cutting a piece of plastic wire insulation of the right diameter and gluing it into the hole.
-steve
Yes, Fred always comes through
I do like your idea as well Steve, I thought about what to use there and that never came to mind.
It is always a good idea to fix these as they were, but we already know how long they last.
I'm thinking they discontinued those due to failure.
I have a half dozen of 270 in good shape and about the same of the 2 speed 275, all have that part
damaged.

Sal

Midway Tommy

Hard rubber, like tire tread, is about the only thing that will last with considerable use.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

Considering it's size, Polyurethane bumper might do even better, that's what they're designed for.
Of course the best would be what works for that individual.

Sal

Tiddlerbasher

Using one of the revolving hole punches and a sheet of rubber may get you close to the original - or call Fred ;D

Alto Mare

Of course, but I was going for a bad needed upgrade😂

foakes

Right, Sal —

I think one of those little clear polyurethane bumpers used for cabinet doors would work — if there was a good way to attach them — TacGlue with cyanoacrylate and a clamp should work.

In the meantime — (12) pairs of bumpers and springs are on their way to you.  Check your mail Wednesday.

Still waiting to hear from Festus.  Those are easy to dig out if a tiny pick and a little patience is applied.

I just dig out the root of the old bumper with a 1/16" drill bit attached to a mini pair of Vise Grips for control.  Then the rest just comes out easily with an offset pick.

Install the spring FIRST onto the bumper — then insert into the hole.  A half a drop of TacGlue can be used if one wishes — or just pop it in the hole without the glue.  It will hold either way.  The spring helps to keep the bumper from being impacted as much — and also from "mushrooming".  

Like Steve sez — the proper bail height also gives the proper line lay on the spool.

As for DQ discontinuing these by the early 80's...we need to remember that these were first produced around '54 — then discontinued after a 10 year run.  DQ continued to supply parts for around 15 years after these were no longer manufactured.

That is not so bad when we consider that many modern Tupperware reel manufacturers supply no parts support — or maybe only for a year or two.  And this can be true even when an angler pays North of $1000 for a Shimano Stella.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.