Rubber buffer with spring on D-A-M Quick Super 270

Started by festus, January 05, 2019, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Tried alcohol, tried grease, tried twisting clockwise with the same result, no go.  I even got desperate and tried to force it on with pliers to no avail.

Dominick

Quote from: foakes on January 14, 2019, 12:13:36 AM
If you just get the back edge barely in — then you can twist it slightly clockwise as you compress it into the hole.  I think Dominick may be right with the alcohol — but I have never needed to use it if started with a twist instead of just forcing it into the hole.

Of course, the good Counselor may be using this as an excuse to break out the Zin...!?

Best,

Fred
I don't need an excuse to break out the zin.   ::)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

If you can't get the stopper in the hole, Festus — then you can just grind a very slight bevel on the insert part of the rubber.

Or, just take a drill bit clamped in a pair of vise grips to barely enlarge the top of the hole — and make sure all of the other rubber has been removed

I have never had an issue installing them the regular way, however.

Yes, they are tight — but that is how they stay in place.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

I finally got it, Fred, with the help of your last picture.  Was trying to put the spring on the bumper backwards all along, just hope it stays secure.  If it doesn't at least I have a spare. Thanks again for your patience.

Alto Mare

Got my bumpers, thank you Fred.
I did not have any problem installing those, but didn't trust them so I placed just a dab of glue at the bottom.
I;m not sure what the small hole on the side is for, maybe for a small pin to hold it. :-\

To your defense Chester, the pic did slip on me as well but didn't make any damage.

To clean the hole I used a 7/64 bit, rolling it back and forth in my fingers...no drill. The 7/64 fits nicely.

Here are a couple of pics;

Thanks again Fred...you're the best!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handyandy

I may try cutting some small pieces of 1/4" thick horse stall type rubber mat. I use the rubber as bed protector in the back of my truck and suburban, I have some old scraps lying around from ones that have gotten mangled up from use. I think it may be just the ticket for an improvised bumper that will hopefully hold up a while, and be easy to get more of if needed.

foakes

Hi Andy —

There are things out there that will work — such as your truck mat material, maybe cupboard dots used to keep doors from slamming, and lots of other things.

Hobby shops, RC shops, hardware stores, automotive wholesale suppliers for body shops, and places like McMaster-Carr — have plenty of things that would work also.

If you need a few of these original ones — just let me know and I could send some out to you today.

N/C.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.