533 Conversion Standard vs Narrow

Started by theyuckyone, January 06, 2019, 01:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theyuckyone

I was thinking about tweaking my Newell 533 (graphite spool). I know the tib 533NK has a heavier spool, does the weight of the spool affect casting? What are some other pro & cons I should consider on choosing either the 533 frame or the 533NK frame & spool?

Thanks

Swami805

I have both, I like the narrow 533 for yo-yo fishing and the stock width 533 for casting. It might just be me but I like a cube shaped reel better for casting,it seems more balanced and it's what I'm used too. The best freespool hands down on mine is the 533 width with the tiburon frame and graphite spool. I use both as 40-50lb reels.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Frank

Quote from: Swami805 on January 06, 2019, 02:41:08 PMIt might just be me but I like a cube shaped reel better for casting,it seems more balanced and it's what I'm used too.

I feel the same way. While I like narrow spool reels for jigging the wider reels seem to cast much better to me.

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

vilters

this brings to mind a discussion on another board some years ago regarding casting performance of newell 332 vs newell 338. one theory was the line diameter on the wider 338 spool would decrease slower than the narrower 332 spool, which means that for the same spool speed, more line will come off the wider spool (larger line diameter) than the narrower spool, which diameter decreases quicker = better/longer casting for the wider spool. fwiw. personally, i use the standard width 533 for #50 lb., and like the narrow for #40. i'm with swami, i like a "square" profile reel for casting, i have a jerry downie custom 533 that is in between the narrow and standard width reel that is ideal for me.

jurelometer

Quote from: vilters on January 06, 2019, 05:37:27 PM
this brings to mind a discussion on another board some years ago regarding casting performance of newell 332 vs newell 338. one theory was the line diameter on the wider 338 spool would decrease slower than the narrower 332 spool, which means that for the same spool speed, more line will come off the wider spool (larger line diameter) than the narrower spool, which diameter decreases quicker = better/longer casting for the wider spool. fwiw. personally, i use the standard width 533 for #50 lb., and like the narrow for #40. i'm with swami, i like a "square" profile reel for casting, i have a jerry downie custom 533 that is in between the narrow and standard width reel that is ideal for me.

I also agree with the preferred ideal dimensions,   but I question the theory from the other board. 

Taller spool means more line comes off per revolution at first.   If more  line coming off the spool per revolution made the reel cast better, the best casting spool would be tall and narrow with a larger arbor.

I would guess that the benefit of a short-wide spool has to do more with inertia.    The theoretically best revolving casting spool would have zero coefficient of friction (static and dynamic), and zero inertia.  The line would come off the spool exactly at the speed it is pulled,  even during deceleration.  No energy siphoned off  to start rotation, and no over-rotating as the cast finishes.

A lighter spool weight means less mass which means less inertia.   So far, so good.  My recollection of physics is terrible,  but I seem to remember that radius also has an effect on inertia.  In other words,  if two rotating cylinders  of the same material had the same mass but different dimensions (one wide length with a short radius,  the other narrow with a long radius),  the cylinder with the longer radius would have the greater moment of inertia.   This is why flywheels on motors are tall and narrow (more inertia per unit of mass  is desirable), and casting reel spools are short and wide ( less inertia is desirable).

On a side note,  the popular how-long-does-the-spool-spin test can be misleading. The more inertia in the spool (from mass or radius),  the longer the spool will continue to spin after the load is discontinued.   So it may not be a very good predictor of casting ability when comparing one reel model to another.  On the same reel, a longer free rotation shows an improvement in coefficient of friction, which does tell us something useful.

-J

theyuckyone

Thank you gentleman for everyone's input.......standard it shall be

eguinn

theory my butt, i had a kit that was eating 50lb so bad & hard it locked the reel up solid, could not turn the handle, locked up that hard & tight. I'm hoping Mr Downey has a spare spool for it cuz it has way to much clearance between the frame & spool

Newell Nut

Eating 50 lb is surprising. Seems the spool would have to be way off center to allow enough space for the line get inside.

Now as far as what cast the best really depends on many things. First is the skill of the person casting. Next is good bearings properly aligned and well centered spool. Polishing the spool shaft and the ID of the pinion is a great plus for spool speed. The weight of the line will also be and issue. You can cast 40 lb mono much better on a 533 than 60 lb mono. Then the weight of the lure and power of the rod come into play. It is a big can of worms to discuss and opinions can fly in all directions. Tiburon frames do a great job aligning bearings but I do not have a strong opinion on the spools.

Good Luck
Dwight

vilters

Quote from: eguinn on January 10, 2020, 03:54:23 AM
theory my butt, i had a kit that was eating 50lb so bad & hard it locked the reel up solid, could not turn the handle, locked up that hard & tight. I'm hoping Mr Downey has a spare spool for it cuz it has way to much clearance between the frame & spool

i have a couple of those converted 533's, which i really like. one had excessive clearance between the inner ring and spool rim. the ring had been  ground away to , i assume, provide clearance.  i have had to use care when assembling the frame, sometimes loosening frame screws and "adjusting" fit until the spool spins freely without rubs.

Swami805

Eating 50lb?  Is It one Jerry made?  I have one  and it works fine but it It took a little fiddling with shims and what not   Might try flipping the bars and base around and see if that helps
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Hamachi

I also have a c533 5.5 recently purchased that's eating big line. Spool is centered correctly, and it was in almost new condition. The gap doesn't look that bad, but the line gets stuck, but doesn't go behind the spool. Maybe one of the quality control issues Newell faced over the years which led to its demise. Or maybe it's my crappy casting ability, I'm not ruling that out.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

eguinn

Hi, its been a while since i been on here. The reel & kit was a new Tib 4nk kit  & P series side plates, with there heavy #### spool. When the reel locked up it stopped the handle from turning hard,real hard, no way you could turn the handle or spool, i was using a new topshot of 50lb big game tied to 80lb solid spectra, in fact i could not pull the line out from between the frame & spool with pliers it was jammed that tight. I had to loosen the sideplate screws to get the mono out. that's when i saw that the mono never even made to the inner cage ring (newell), it was locked solid between the reel frame & the shoulder of the Tib spool. I pulled out my calipers & started checking clearances, boy did i get a big surprise, between the OD of the spool & the ID of I had a total of .037 thousands clearance, wow no freakin wonder its eatin 50lb Big Game. I checked my other reel which had a total of .015 thousands total clearance becuz i used a Jerry Downy Newell 522 spool that he has modified for his own 522 or Tib 4nk size if u prefer, his spool (newell) is .015 bigger in outside diameter than the the Tib spool, i know cuz i used the same parts except for the spools are 2 different animals, Jerry's modified spools are much lighter & freespool forever.