How did this Squidder gear sleeve get damaged?

Started by captquint99, January 06, 2019, 01:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captquint99

The clicker does not appear to be worn. Upon closer inspection the eccentric jack does have a circular groove in it that was caused by the eccentric spring being too long sticking thru the eccentric.

CapeFish

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on January 08, 2019, 01:09:17 PM
Curious what the clicker looks like?

My guess would be that this reel was fished in gear, clicker on, and anti-reverse off. Once a fish bit and ran, the anti-reverse lever was thrown into gear. I don't think the damage occurred from one event, but rather over time.

Just a guess though.

Tom

I have often wondered about damage from slamming the reel into gear when a fish is running, this could well be it?

Alto Mare

That could be it, but only if the fish was too large for this reel. All Penn reels are designed to take that type of abuse, as going into gear when the fish runs.
Gears always remain in mesh and connot strip and cause other problems, when goin in or out of gear.

I'm thinking the gear sleeve had too much up and down play, or the fiber washer for under the main gear was damaged, or missing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CapeFish

Surely the anti reverse pawl slams into the anti reverse ratchet when you do that and the effect will be worse if the drag is sticky and then add out of alignment to it as well? I have seen anti reverse pawls damaged when AR bearings start failing and they start slamming into the anti reverse ratchet. Im not saying the reels are not designed for it, but if the drag is sticky then there must surely be a risk of damage? I don't fish with the reel in free spool because it is just a mother of a crows nest waiting to happen and a speeding fish going from no drag to full drag and you could have the line popping.

Alto Mare

Yup, sticky drag can contribute to this, I agree. I do not fish with free spool as well, but do with live bait.
I always try to hold the spool with my thumb when shifting into gear, but at times you are not able to, or to excited to remember :).

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Frank

Diamond jigging with heavy jigs causes hammering damage to the gear sleeve and dog. After repairing many party/head boat reels slamming the reel into gear before the jig hits the bottom takes it's toll. Maybe Mikebluefish will chime in. His reel overhauls are along the same as mine.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Alto Mare

A stock Penn Squidder is rated at around 8lbs, capable to take a couple of more lbs with upgrades.

I still think the sleeve had too muck play.
Just my opinion of course and not ruling anything else out.

Sal

Decker

The value of this site and its members shines in all you can learn from a picture of a bent gear sleeve tooth.  Very interesting reading.

I've used this method for surf fishing.  Cast the Squidder, turn on the bait clicker, turn off the freespool, turn off the aintireverse.  That way, dead-sticking, the fish can hit and run a bit with the clicker sounding.   Set the hook with hand on the crank, turn on antireverse, and bring in the fish.

What Frank said about the pressure from  heavy jigging interests me.  I've wondered about the pressure on the gears on conventional versus spinning reels.

bluefish69

Quote from: Frank on January 11, 2019, 12:11:22 PM
Diamond jigging with heavy jigs causes hammering damage to the gear sleeve and dog. After repairing many party/head boat reels slamming the reel into gear before the jig hits the bottom takes it's toll. Maybe Mikebluefish will chime in. His reel overhauls are along the same as mine.

I've fished up in N.H. many times & have had reels with no problems like these. I have had Dwiawa & Shamano reels last 2 seasons & sold them because I didn't like them fishing 300' - 400' of water. The person that I sold them to had them repaired after 1 more season but I don't know what was wrong. My last few trips I brought my Newells 5-1 gears & fished Jigs 9 - 500Grs. & had no problem. Working on open boats our regulars used Newell reels or Penn reels never saw much problem with them using 4 -6 oz Jigs on Blues 6 - 20 lbs. Most of the rental rods had Knock off reels & were repaired daily.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Frank

Well, maybe not so much with bluefish69 but I encountered this in the past when servicing milk crates at a time of Penn Jigmasters. They were once the go to jigging reel for open boats until the introduction of the Daiwa 50H. The Daiwa was a big improvement with it's one piece frame and heavier internal parts. I do agree with Sal that there was some sort of lifting of the sleeve due to the angle of the damage in the gear.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.