Main Menu

Cast Iron Pot

Started by Bill B, January 06, 2019, 11:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on January 08, 2019, 04:35:30 AM
Inside is as expected rust but there is a white/yellow hard and smooth coating around the top 2".  At first thought it was eanameld but it is too coarse to be enamel.  I'm thinking either cement or animal glue.  Gonna try the electrolysis method this weekend to see what I get.  I have a lead test kit and will give it at test after.

cool topic

don't know much about CI

do know that lead carbonate is white

hope your test kit detects lead compounds, as well as the element

oc1

I only cook with cast iron; a dutch oven, small fry pan, medium fry pan, and a griddle.  My wife hates them and has her own stuff.

When the dirty dishes can no longer be ignored, I let the Labrador lick left-overs from pans before washing.  You can't leave cast iron with him for too long though because he will lick the seasoning and top layer of crud off so it has to be re-oiled before going into the cupboard to prevent rusting.  No wonder she hates them.

-steve

mo65

Quote from: PacRat on January 08, 2019, 04:31:08 AM
Now that I got my comments out of the way, I have a question. My newer pan is a lodge. The casting texture is very course. Does anyone know if it would be advisable to run an orbital sander around in it to smooth out the texture or will it smooth out on it's own as the black builds up? My Griswald had deep pits from the rust but now after many years is as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Yes...after seasoning the skillet a few times the build up will smooth the surface. After a few years of proper use and handling it will be smooth as glass.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

George6308

Things cooked in cast iron cook on the carbon layer, same principle as a carbon steel Wok. The new Lodge pre blacken pans are rough but like Moe says the roughness will fill in. Peanut oil is another preferred seasoning oil due to its ability to sustain a higher temperature when heated. Putting then in a camp fire or self cleaning oven only burns off the carbon and does not effect any rust. The rust has to be removed mechanically via sanding or steel wool aka a Brillo pad etc. Than the pan can be oiled and seasoned.

Dominick

I did some further research as to my comments using flaxseed oil to season a cast iron pan after getting the rust out.  Check out this link.  Dominick

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5820-the-ultimate-way-to-season-cast-iron
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Brewcrafter

Steve is my kinda guy!  Let the hounds earn their keep around the house by doing the dishes!  Everything in my house is either Cast Iron or Stainless - keeping stainless looking new is very hard - just like with CI don't get happy with the aggressive abrasives and maintain that non-reactive layer...

Bill B

Starting on my second cast iron Dutch oven....was pretty grimy and rusty, first thing is assemble the supplies for an electrolysis bath.

Battery charger and leads, large bucket to soak in, anode (I cut open a large coffee can to increase the surface area for better conductivity) and chemicals.  From what I've read washing soda (sodium carbonate) is the stuff to use, but can be hard to find.  A little research shows you can can make it by heating baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) which releases carbon dioxide and water.  I'm no chemist, but can use an oven so I made my own.  I also added some borax as a degreaser for good measure.

Assemble everything tun on the charger and let it cook.  One warning though the electrolysis releases hydrogen gas, and unless you want to re-inact the Hindenburg, ventilate well.  This will be multiple posts during the entire process.....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bill B

Here's the assembly,and progress after three hours.  I've been turning the pot and changed out the solution , so far impressed with the results.

Dominick

Keep us up to date.  Good work.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

Well at least I'm not out any money 😤 Just finished the third round of electrolysis today, and discovered the Dutch oven is cracked, I'm assuming its fatal. 

Lessons learned, electrolysis is a good way to clean the rust and grime from cast iron (CI), the chemicals used primarily sodium carbonate is caustic, how to make sodium carbonate from sodium bicarbonate, electrolysis produces hydrogen and oxygen which can be "exciting" i.e. Hindenburg, it is a messy job (the wife will not be pleased with the mess in the kitchen sink 🙄).

On the good side the Wagner Dutch oven that was found with the D&M, was solid and seasoned very well with peanut oil.

thorhammer

Bill, great work! The other one is  a permanent flower pot....i bought a cauldron once that was cracked, we tried to weld it and everything but in the end game it has a mandevilla in it now lol.

Dominick

I had to google mandevilla...we live and learn.  Dominick

Bill B

Had to look it up also, interesting plant.  I may give welding or brazing a shot, nothing to lose at this point, I have some pretty good welders at work.  Will let you know how it turns out.....Bill

thorhammer

I'm more interested to see a money shot of whatever you cook up in the one that isn't cracked, Billy-boy! May be out to OC this spring, my turn on beers.

theswimmer

A good welder can braise that no prob.
We have a 2 ton Chevy flat bed on the ranch that the yoke on the differential was braised back in 1988.
Still going strong and that Chev gets used ......
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn