Main Menu

Cast Iron Pot

Started by Bill B, January 06, 2019, 11:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Brazing...that's good to know......John if you have time Lake Gregory is about 5 mins from the house, I have plenty of light tackle for some trout fishing, we can walk and cast from the shore line, it's about an hour walk all the way around.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oc1

I had to look it up too but only found stuff about the vine.  They say to drill a hole at the end of the crack to keep it from running and to relieve stress.  Then fill the hole later.  Grind out a groove along the crack.  Feather it out to about 1/2 inch wide so you have a fresh (shiny) surface to wick the brazing and not contaminate it.  While the groove is still shiny, braze with brass rod and lots of that white paste flux. Seems like there's absolutely nothing to loose.
-steve

sdlehr

Sodium carbonate, (NA2CO3), is available at pool supply stores as "pH Up", or something similar. You don't have to make your own.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bill B

Thanks Sid, unfortunately the nearest big box home store or pool supply is a 30 minute drive down the mountain.  Next time I do this I will pick some up. 

So today I dropped off the pot with my welders at work, they're going t bead blast it before welding and hopefully they can get the white crust that may be plaster or cement off that's inside.  Heck if I knew this I could have saved a lot of time, but then again we don't do these things just to be speedy.  Just like reels, it's a labor of love and in this case learning too.  Will update after th boys finish.  Bill

Big Tim

The Crack Pot (sorry) may not be good for a stew but I bet ya could do a no knead rustic bread in that thing?

Tim

MarkT

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on January 15, 2019, 12:55:03 AM
Brazing...that's good to know......John if you have time Lake Gregory is about 5 mins from the house, I have plenty of light tackle for some trout fishing, we can walk and cast from the shore line, it's about an hour walk all the way around.   Bill
You're in Crestline?  I sold my place in Twin Peaks a year and a half ago. I spent a lot of time at Lake Gregory with my boys when they were little... and in Deep Creek with my younger son when he was older.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bill B

Mark, we've been here about 6 months now, winter has been pretty mild so far, at least for us.  Big Bear is getting a lot of snow now.  I havent had the chance to fish Gregory, when the weather settles down a little was thinking of walking the shore and tossing a few lures.  You have any favorites?  I have the usual Kastmasters, Super Dupers, Panther Martins and Mepps..... Bill

Bill B

Got the Dutch oven back from the boys today.  While not a perfect repair, this DO was never going to be brought back to "perfect". Some welding with stainlesss steel rod and some brazing and a good bead blasting brought it back to life.  Oiled it down to prevent rust. Looking forward to seasoning and some No Knead bread.

theswimmer

Couple slices of bacon , and 2 or 3 potatoes ,
Just let it simmer till crusty.
Throw the first batch out , from then on you will be good to go.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn