Shimano Old School Graphite Spinning Reels from the late 1980's

Started by ccalls, September 12, 2011, 05:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccalls

Shimano old school graphite spinning reels.  Does anybody collect these reels besides me? I remember being 15 and drooling over them in the glass case in the sporting goods department at Kmart back in the 1980's.   The biggers ones (3000 - 4000 size) were approaching $100 a pop back then.  Most of them have the Shimano patented "fightin' drag" which works like a lever drag on the rear of the reel.  There's even a marking for "Strike" at the center.  I still used these once in a while when I go for trout or catfish.  I've pulled in quite a few fish with these reels.  A few years back, I put 30lb Powerpro braid on one of the bigger ones and promptly got completely spooled by a fish on the Green Pleasure Pier in Avalon.

I have the following:

Custom GT2500 Plus
TX110Q
TX120Q
TX130Q
Mark I
Magnumlite GT-X 2300SQ
Magnumlite GT-X 1200 Plus
Magnumlite GT-X 1300 Plus

Nessie Hunter

Very nice collection..... 

Rear drags are not only a total PITA to work on, but the drag washers are very small.
I would imagine thats why you got spooled..... 
They dont equate to much in the way of resistance/drag...

Some BIG fish lurking off the Catalina coast!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

mackereljoe

Nice collection, i can definitely understand why people collect those things.  For a good 4 years that's the type of reel i've used whipping for papio and lai almost 20 years ago.  The drag is very smooth and i love that fighting drag feature.  Lost plenty of bigger fish with it, but it's a fun reel.  Still to this day think about that big bonefish that almost spooled me while fishing at Iroqouis point, got his freedom by straightened up my little hook.

ccalls

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on September 13, 2011, 08:02:05 PM
Very nice collection..... 

Rear drags are not only a total PITA to work on, but the drag washers are very small.
I would imagine thats why you got spooled..... 
They dont equate to much in the way of resistance/drag...

Some BIG fish lurking off the Catalina coast!!

Definite PITA so much so that I've never bothered to replace them;D.   But I like do them because the got the rear "lever drag" to play around with and the Magnumlite were named Speedmasters that had gear ratios around 6:1.  They're also cheap reels to acquire off of Ebay.

Brendan

Old School, late 80's I'm feeling great right now. At least I've only fished with one of them.
Ha-Ha, Brendan.

BigerBass2009

Quote from: ccalls on September 12, 2011, 05:11:50 PM
Shimano old school graphite spinning reels.  Does anybody collect these reels besides me? I remember being 15 and drooling over them in the glass case in the sporting goods department at Kmart back in the 1980's.   The biggers ones (3000 - 4000 size) were approaching $100 a pop back then.  Most of them have the Shimano patented "fightin' drag" which works like a lever drag on the rear of the reel.  There's even a marking for "Strike" at the center.  I still used these once in a while when I go for trout or catfish.  I've pulled in quite a few fish with these reels.  A few years back, I put 30lb Powerpro braid on one of the bigger ones and promptly got completely spooled by a fish on the Green Pleasure Pier in Avalon.

I have the following:

Custom GT2500 Plus
TX110Q
TX120Q
TX130Q
Mark I
Magnumlite GT-X 2300SQ
Magnumlite GT-X 1200 Plus
Magnumlite GT-X 1300 Plus

greetings wow

A whole collection in 1984 The serie Shimano magnumlite speedmaster was distributed in canada I bought some fishing rods

I had $ 6.41 per hour wage and this damage is one of the best series of mechanics

Precisely I have 3 Spool  intact good conditions MagnumliteGT-X Plus 1300 for sale has good prices I lost the reel

Notice to Interested

philaroman

cool collection -- Fightin' Drag Shimanos are the only rear drag reels worth using, IMO (albeit a pain to service).  I don't much care for the FastCast/QuickFire trigger, though -- it may be convenient, but all the trigger models have the stupid self-centering one-point A/R.  I just hate the rotor flopping around through one full revolution -- HORRIBLE for zero-stretch lines!

for use (esp. w/ braid), I'd recommend later generations with the tall Aero Spool, worm-gear oscillation, better line rollers and WITHOUT triggers.  As far as I know, the pinnacle of rear-drags is Biomaster L (better-made JDM/Euro Stradic equivalent) & Symetre is the highest US model...  gotta' be the older "Made in Japan" ones -- later Malaysian versions are not nearly as durable & most (all?) are downgraded back to simple locomotive oscillation