garmin gps ????

Started by farmer56, January 11, 2019, 04:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer56

hi guys farmer56 here    ...  has  anybody  used  a  garmin gpsmap 536  chartplotter     before    .... some one  wants  to  sell  his  ....     any  thoughts  on  the  unit  would  be  usefull   ...   only  will be  used  on  canada  lakes  ...  thanks  dennis     

boon

It is a pretty dated unit these days. Not compatible with the latest generation of charts either, but adequate with the older G2 charts.

If the price is right, I guess so?

farmer56

thanks  boon   ....   i know zero about  marine gpsmap    ....   would  the  next  series newer  the                       
     garmin    gpsmap   547  chartplotter  be  any  better...    used  mainly to  navigate around  all those  islands o rainy  lake  ontario  canada  ..  wanted a stand alone  gps  no  depth finder  ...  thanks  farmer....

farmer56

farmer56 back    ...  looks like garmin  is  bringing out  g3  to  replace  g2    ...  and  they  can  be  installed  in  old  chartplotter  is  this  a  game  changer  or  not....  still  green  as they  come  on  gps  stuff   ....     

Gobi King

You may want to check how many hours are on the unit?
The backlight fades out over time and it may be hard to see in bright sunlight.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

farmer56

farmer56

farmer56 here ....   just a little  background on  how  and where we fish  ....  lake of the woods  northern Mn.  over 14,500  islands  and  Rainy lake  On.  over  2500  islands ....  we  bought  maps  from the gov./dnr.  we  fish out of a 1987 lund pro pike boat  14' { aluminum }   w/30  hp tiller handle   ...  me , being the [self  appointed ]  so called captain  drives   the  boat ...  No. one son  is the  lookout  in front  of  boat  doing  dual tasks  looking  for  shallow  rocks   and  reading  laminated maps  ...   son  No. two  sitting in middle seat  tries  to  get phone  service  on  cell phone  ....  intermittently getting  cell service   to look at maps on  phone  .  both sons  guiding  the  old man ,  first  to  not  get  lost  .  second   to  try  avoid  shallow  rocks...   we  use a  lowance  x-85  depth  finder  rear  and  a  lowance  [ hook ]  depth  finder  mounted  on  the   motor  of  the  trolling  motor  mounted  on the  bow ....  both sons  are very  tech. savee  ....  when  we  leave  the  lodge every  morning  we  are a sight  to  see  ...  extra boat  gas  plenty  of  tackle extra  clothing  for  weather   two  cast  iron pans  two  dutch  cast iron ovens  and   food  for  our  2 to  2 1/2  hour  shore  lunches   ,  hoping  to  find a new  island  each  meal  ...  farmer  out  for  now  ...  no fancy  eating  place has anything on us  ...   life   is   good

Gobi King

I am jealous, most water bodies in MI I can use shore landmarks and navigate, i.e. really small water bodies.

Here is what  I do and maybe it will help  you some, I can pm you my # if you want to chat.

Lake Maps - i.e. google maps.

I download the area maps when I am home and cache them. so when I am out on the lake (I have tmobile and it has HORRIBLE coverage) I am able to use the GPS signal on my PDA/PHONE any device which see a GPS go figure out where I am.

Navionics has a boating app, which is subscription based, I think it costs $15 a year and you can down maps and contour maps for your area.
I like this as it has the public uploaded sonar maps which are more accurate then the recent survey.

So this will give you BOTH maps of the area and depth(contour) maps.
You can highlight areas and download them when at home.

I also print off the latest contour maps off navionics website > webapp, as the few times I am out fishing, it rains.

I would suggest  you don't buy the used unit but invest in a waterproof case for an old phone. use that and navionics app.

I use the navionics app to study new lakes when I stuck in a plane ride back home from work
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

farmer56

gobi  thanks  ...   i will  relay  the  info  to  my  sons   ...   no. two  son  might  have  been  doing  some  of  the  phone  stuff  you  talked  about ...   i  have  never  bought  used  electrical/electronic  stuff  before   ...   we  might  be  in  touch at  a  later date  thanks  for  offer     ....   farmer 56  out.....     dennis