How to tell if your gears are bad?

Started by Reel Beaker, January 11, 2019, 05:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

Just curious but how do you know if your reel gears are still in good working condition?
After servicing you reel, we are sure to expect the reel to be a little rough, as the old layer of grease is gone.
How do we know if the reel is rough due to the layer being gone or the gears being damaged?
What are the problems of bad gears?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reel Beaker

I am encountering a really weird problem on one of my spinning reels.
When i engage the anti-reverse and crank, it is a bit noisy. However when i disengage the anti-reverse and crank backwards,it becomes a lot silent.
The difference is actually very noticeable.
Does anyone knows what the problem is?

Cor

I don't really know spinning reels, but my guess would be that the gears are worn on the side that the normally turn.   When you turn the other way there is no wear on the gears so they feel smooth. ???
Cornelis

exp2000

What reel is it?

Your observation is congruent with my last comment in this thread:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=26666.msg304103#msg304103
~

Reel Beaker

Quote from: exp2000 on January 11, 2019, 10:16:30 AM
What reel is it?

Your observation is congruent with my last comment in this thread:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=26666.msg304103#msg304103
~

Okuma Azul 65. I am guessing that using a heavier grease wont solve the problem.

Keta

Clean them up and look at them through a magnifier.  I would replace both gears.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

handi2

If that reel uses a roller clutch type anti reverse it may be rusted. I think they use a cheaper design that also rusts. When gears are bad they are no good. Time for new ones.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Donnyboat

Lee & Keith are on to it, also if it has any bearings, they should be checked out, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Reel Beaker

Good news and bad news.
The good news: I discovered what caused the problem.
The bad news: I discovered it too late and now is looking at damaged gears plus i have a bricked screw from my previous openings when i was pretty new to the scene, since this is the first reel i ever opened.

https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Okuma/Azul/Okuma%20AZUL%20AZ65-90(2002).pdf

The noise produced by the reel was actually caused by part 703. The pinion sits on it and it acts kinda like a spacer for the meshing of the pinion and drive gear. The part wasn't cut properly. There is an extrusion that was a little too long on part 703 which rubs on your drive gear, causing the noise, and causing your gears to jam up after prolonged use. After some time, your gears lose their alignment and when your crank, goodbye gear teeth!

The noise i have been hearing so far is actually plastic(part 703) rubbing against my gear. I sanded off a little of the extrusion with sand paper and the noise is gone now. I think i did not sand off enough though as occasionally i can still hear a little sound.

Disappointed though, but i guess as some users on this forum have suggested that old Okuma reels are good to look at but horrible to fish with. To be fair, this would have been a decent reel if part 703 was manufactured properly. But unfortunately, it wasn't and now i am looking at damaged gears(not my fault) and a bricked screw(my fault).

The question now is if this reel is still in production and if i could order the bricked parts or should i just get a new reel?

The worse thing about the reel schematic is that part 9202(washer) doesn't even fit above the anti-reverse mechanism and there are 2 9202 washers sitting above my drive gear instead of the 1 as shown in the schematic.

By the way, the reel spins even better and smoother after sanding off part 703! Imao! LoL!

Cor

Quote from: Reel Beaker on January 14, 2019, 03:44:34 PM
Disappointed though, but i guess as some users on this forum have suggested that old Okuma reels are good to look at but horrible to fish with. To be fair, this would have been a decent reel if part 703 was manufactured properly. But unfortunately, it wasn't and now i am looking at damaged gears(not my fault) and a bricked screw(my fault).

I have an old Okuma that I never liked for the poor build quality and the very different construction inside.   Much broke inside and even the rivets that hold the foot on to the body gave way.

Yet looking back and in all fairness, it gave me pretty fair service, I caught a lot of fish on it and when something did go wrong, Okuma just sent me a replacement part all the way from China, free of charge that would just arrive in my mailbox 3 weeks later.
Their service could not be faulted!
Cornelis