Does The Perfect Albacore Trolling Reel Exist?

Started by Gman_WC, January 11, 2019, 07:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman_WC

First I want to say I don't want to start a Ford vs Chevy or what's best thread. Only what you perceive as the perfect albacore reel that just works for you.
I've spent a few week nights going back over old posts here on the subject and I'm still searching.
With some 50 plus reels, most are star drag except for two SHIMANO TLD 30 II's. Alan has serviced these a few times over the years.
They were used with 40# mono in the Sea of Cortez for 100# and under sails and stripes. Lots of line capacity and not over dragged make for fun battles from a panga.
While a fine reel when fished within it limits, it's to large for this job.
I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm looking for an excuse to buy a new lever for the long fins. Not a need, only a want that seems to have got stuck in my craw!  >:(

So I have a few stipulations for you enablers... ;D

1) Lever Drag - 2 speed
2) Size - Nothing much larger that 113h - 4/0
3) Line capacity 300-350 30#mono or braid with top shot!
4) Weight - Nothing heavy
5) Serviceable - Not difficult to work on from home without a 4 year degree
6) Price - In the $400 range
7) Dependability - A proven and sturdy design that when fished within it's limits, it's not needing to be repaired every year other than routine maintenance that will last.

I know I could use my 4/0 tanked narrows/Regular/wides, 6/0's, and 349's. I want to get right back on the known pre-set strike setting with a lever and the lure back out
Looking for something medium weight and fun.

Thanks for hearing my rant and replying if you have the time.

-gary

Walnut Creek, CA

alantani

i've got six of these.  now all we need are a few albacore.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Gman_WC on January 11, 2019, 07:40:38 AM
First I want to say I don't want to start a Ford vs Chevy or what's best thread. Only what you perceive as the perfect albacore reel that just works for you.
I've spent a few week nights going back over old posts here on the subject and I'm still searching.
With some 50 plus reels, most are star drag except for two SHIMANO TLD 30 II's. Alan has serviced these a few times over the years.
They were used with 40# mono in the Sea of Cortez for 100# and under sails and stripes. Lots of line capacity and not over dragged make for fun battles from a panga.
While a fine reel when fished within it limits, it's to large for this job.
I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm looking for an excuse to buy a new lever for the long fins. Not a need, only a want that seems to have got stuck in my craw!  >:(

So I have a few stipulations for you enablers... ;D

1) Lever Drag - 2 speed
2) Size - Nothing much larger that 113h - 4/0
3) Line capacity 300-350 30#mono or braid with top shot!
4) Weight - Nothing heavy
5) Serviceable - Not difficult to work on from home without a 4 year degree
6) Price - In the $400 range
7) Dependability - A proven and sturdy design that when fished within it's limits, it's not needing to be repaired every year other than routine maintenance that will last.

I know I could use my 4/0 tanked narrows/Regular/wides, 6/0's, and 349's. I want to get right back on the known pre-set strike setting with a lever and the lure back out
Looking for something medium weight and fun.

Thanks for hearing my rant and replying if you have the time.

-gary

Gary, for what you are talking about, 30#, I would think that Avet JX or MX would fit the bill.  I'm not sure of the line capacity but fishing 30# (likely the MX would be the right size), these two would definitely work.  Easy to service, 10# of drag at struck, light and small, comes in 2 speed,...these would be my pick for a good, relatively inexpensive lever drag reel.

Another would be an Okuma Metalloid for the same reasons.

You could also think about the Shimano charter specials with Alan's Cortez Conversions full aluminum frame kits.

Check them out.  It's fun looking for new toys.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

There are lots of reels that fit your needs, I use single speed Avet JX4.6 reels for albacore trolling.  Two speed is not needed for small tuna (albacore) but if you want two speed the Avet JX6/3 ($370) or Penn Fathom FTH25NLD2 ($280) would be two good choices.  Smaller reels will work but I like this size reel for trolling, my go to albacore reel for non trolling is a early pre glued drag MX6/4.  I would recommend a JX6/3 Raptor over the JX6/3 due to the glued on drag washer on the non Raptor reels but the JX6/3 Raptor is over $400.  These are what I use but there are plenty of reels that fit your needs.

Quote from: alantani on January 11, 2019, 07:52:34 AM
i've got six of these.  now all we need are a few albacore.

I know where they have been for the last decade or so.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I caught a good number of Yellowtail and YFT on a Saltist LD20 2 speed thinking all the   time how it was  perfect for albacore. I would sibmit, however, that the SD fishing crew answered ths question forever and a day ago when they put a 500 sideplateon a 99. You n't beat an lbacore Special, especially if it is made with a Newel Kit.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

I've worked on several Saltist LD20 reels and like them, the next size up would be a better dedicated trolling reel.  On the 2018 SOA trip I caught a dorado on my tricked out Penn/Tiburon 500NN.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

Quote from: Ron Jones on January 11, 2019, 04:11:49 PM
I caught a good number of Yellowtail and YFT on a Saltist LD20 2 speed thinking all the   time how it was  perfect for albacore. I would sibmit, however, that the SD fishing crew answered ths question forever and a day ago when they put a 500 sideplateon a 99. You n't beat an lbacore Special, especially if it is made with a Newel Kit.
The Man

Gman_WC

Walnut Creek, CA

MarkT

I have a couple of Pro Gear Albacore Special's, 280 and 540!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gman_WC

Quote from: MarkT on January 11, 2019, 11:02:37 PM
I have a couple of Pro Gear Albacore Special's, 280 and 540!
Thanks. I'm looking for new reel models that I can still gets parts for if I need them. I'm afraid to fish my PG 251/255's.

-g
Walnut Creek, CA

MarkT

The guts of the 255/251 are Jigmasters so you can easily get parts.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Maxed Out

My favorite albacore charter boat uses accurate boss dual drag reels and he swears by them. I've seen first hand the punishment these reels take on a daily basis for 3 months. Just another option to consider

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Gman_WC

With reviews and at $, I'm now looking very seriously at the Okuma Metaloids.
I may get a 5 and a 12 ??? to test drive.
https://www.charkbait.com/specials.htm#Special_1
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Keta

Quote from: Gman_WC on January 12, 2019, 08:05:06 PM
With reviews and at $, I'm now looking very seriously at the Okuma Metaloids.
I may get a 5 and a 12 ??? to test drive.
https://www.charkbait.com/specials.htm#Special_1
-g

Okuma's customer service is one of the best if not the best I deal with.  I wish I had more of their reels coming in for work though.

Mark Twain

jurelometer

You might want to determine which lure(s)  you plan to troll with first.   With a soft plastic swimbait at low speeds,  I would prefer to use my casting outfit.   On the other hand, if I am trolling a big lipped plug, resin head or even a spreader rig at any kind of speed,  the whole setup, both rod and reel, needs to be more heavy duty.

If you are trolling on a charter or party boat,  your setup needs  to be compatible with whatever else is being used, and is usually specified by the captain.  The captain may even  specify the lures to use.  Some prefer to have all of the same lures in the spread.  If it is your own boat,  then you get to choose.

When it comes to fighting a hooked albacore,  it doesn't take as much reel as some folks think.  Back in the day when albacore showed regularly around here, a narrow squidder was my goto albacore live bait reel, and it did just fine year after year.   These are still tuna, so you need a decent reel with a smooth drag, but that is about it.

If you want to be prepared for a bigger bluefin that might end up in the mix, or want to be able land  fish quickly in order load up during a bite,  then a two speed might be useful.  Two speeds are nice for checking/changing out your gear without having to slow down the troll.  

In terms or repeatable drag settings, you can still use a star drag.  A dab of nail polish or wrap of duct tape on one of the star legs provides a pretty repeatable  index for my reels with carbon fiber drags. Jeff (Riverrat) has a post  describing using a paracord loop on the star for the same purpose.

-J