Loop knot for 130-200 fluorocarbon

Started by Rusty12, January 11, 2019, 08:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty12

I am looking to try circle hooks this year for bluefin and rather having the extra Hardware of a ring I'd like to try a knot that allow the hook to swing freely. So far I have been told the perfection loop and 3 turn uni. Any other adverse would be appreciated thanks.

Keta

The perfection loop is a weak knot, the uni could burn the line when it slips.  What problem do you have with ringed hooks?  I ring my own hooks.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

A 3 turn UNI is used on heavier line by many who want the hook to swing free but tighten up when bit.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rusty12

No problem at all with ringed hooks I just figured that the less gear in water the better

Ron Jones

I have become a recent believer in rings, and see very little reason to not use one. With that size line you might consider crimps.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: Rusty12 on January 11, 2019, 09:42:01 PM
No problem at all with ringed hooks I just figured that the less gear in water the better

I don't see it as a problem, the rings are small.  Ron's crimping suggestion works but then you have a small sleeve.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

Less is more but I don't worry about a ringed hook as opposed to just a knot to a non-ringed hook.  For most live bait fishing I use ringed hooks.  For 'junk' fish or Dorado I don't bother with ringed hooks.  Cheap Mustad 64150's are what I use for them. I use non-ringed Owners/Gamakatsu for school-sized YFT and YT.  I save the designer hooks for bigger/better game that tend to be finicky.  I used non-ringed 8/0 Eagle Claws at Cedros last year and they worked just fine. It was the 3rd trip there that I used those EC's for fishing mac's and they came through again.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

on the puerto vallarta trips we just use plain 10/0 owner super mutu circle hooks without rings, and a single san diego.  it works fine for us.  it would probably be ok for you.  less to go wrong. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rusty12

Alan I always thought with a circle you needed a ring or loop know to allow the hook to swing?

Keta

A ringed hook is not needed when using larger baits.

Quote from: MarkT on January 11, 2019, 10:45:40 PM
Cheap Mustad 64150's are what I use....

I ring them, they are a good hook.

Mark Twain

conchydong

I crimp anything over 100lb. test. That's just my preference though.

boon

Crimp is your best option for a strong free swinging loop at those line weights. Otherwise I guess a Rapala knot, but they will be very hard to tie.

Miles Offshore

I also concur and crimp most everything from 80 lb test up. Using the very Smallest crimp possible for size floro your using. Use a Quality crimpimg tool too!
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

AJ

Any strong knot will be bulkier than a crimp, even if you use two crimps for insurance.