my homemade flutter jigs and some of the fish that ate them

Started by Gadget, June 27, 2018, 06:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Those look great! There's nothing like catching on something you've made yourself.

Nice work,  ..  Lou

gstours

As we can see these  jigswork great .   Can you post something more on your molds.  Balsa ?  And more pictures are always welcome.  Thanks 🐠🎣

Gadget

my latest batch,various designs,have yet to test these ones
A bad days fishing is better than a good day in the office

Gadget

one caught on the older style

Gadget

gstours I start with a balsa carving (usually pretty poor) then sandpapering to get things how i want them to look .I then seal that with varnish and use a high temperature silicon (Wacker 4670 made by Barnes Corp) to pour the moulds. Some are single piece moulds others are two piece. I then pour the lead and go from there as far as decoration is concerned.One tip for any one considering it.You must get the lead really hot .You cant preheat the silicon like you can an alloy mould so i often find the first pour is rubbish until the silicon itself gets real hot.If i was better with a camera i could video the  process. but its not hard If a clutz like me can do it anyone can.and in US you have access to much better materials than we do here in Oz at much more realistic prices.

Tiddlerbasher

Donnyboat

Nice work Dean, & thanks for all the info, the young lady in the first photos, looked real happy about it all, good memories, now to get from Sharks bay , Denham, to West side of Dirkhartog Island, do you go through steep point, or around the top. I am thinking of your feul supply, & so on, cheers Don. for those that dont know, it is 75Kms to Steep point.
Don, or donnyboat

Dominick

It takes a lot to fool a fish.  You did it.  Good work.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gadget

Donnyboat, The reds were caught out from the south passage so its a 40km haul across shark bay,down the inside of Dirk Hartog and out the passage. All up 75km But to get to the open ocean it is quicker from Denham to go to Turtle Bay at the top of Dirk Hartog. only about 38km to the ocean. Trouble is the sharks are prolific there and I draw the line at catching just to feed those grey coat mongrels They park up under your boat in numbers and nothing gets through.

Cor

Quote from: Gadget on January 15, 2019, 05:50:45 AM
Donnyboat, The reds were caught out from the south passage so its a 40km haul across shark bay,down the inside of Dirk Hartog and out the passage. All up 75km But to get to the open ocean it is quicker from Denham to go to Turtle Bay at the top of Dirk Hartog. only about 38km to the ocean. Trouble is the sharks are prolific there and I draw the line at catching just to feed those grey coat mongrels They park up under your boat in numbers and nothing gets through.
Sound so similar to my experience from shore in WA, sharks ate everything! :-[
Cornelis

Donnyboat

Yes Good Dean, thanks for your reply, I have anchored @ turtle bay, & slept overnight, we caught some nice snapper not far from there, caught our quota, & was getting a few cod as well so we kept fishing, the sharks moved is, & as you said, that  was the end of it, I have never fished through the South passage. I find I can catch more fish around Geraldton, & dont have to go so far, by car or boat, thanks for all the photos & info, great value, we will have to catch up some time, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat