Metaloid 12NII - good choice??

Started by texkan, January 12, 2019, 07:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texkan

If there is one, what is the verdict on the Metaloid 12NII?  Is it a good value?  Is there a better reel in the same class that I should consider instead? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Les

Rivverrat

The Metaloid 12N 11 is a great reel for the money. It's closest competitor would be the Penn Fathom 25N or the Avet JX.

You get a bit more performance for money spent with the Fathom & Metaloid.  
Gearing & bearings in both these are very good. They both cast well.
Durability is great with both. They both fish up to 50 line very well.

The Metaloid uses no anti reverse or thrust bearings & lacks the extra drag washer used in the Andros 12.

The Fathom has thrust bearings & is just a very good reel
as they both are. Pick them up try them both in hand. You wont go wrong with either.

I have 3 Andros 12's. Two 12's & one 12N. Great reels. Been for the most part trouble free & for the most part built like the Metaloids.

I went with the Andros because I push the drag a bit. The Andros deals with this noticeably better when using 60 line & appropriate drag.

Dont stress your decision. Both Okuma & Penn have top notch customer service.
Either of the reels should give you years of trouble free service & are a great match for any fish when they are loaded with appropriate line for their range of use... Jeff

Gman_WC

I'm looking at the 12NII also at this time. I attempted to put my paws on one today at a
local tackle shop, but was told they no longer carry anything Okuma.   ???
My only concern is the six drain hole on the frame.
I want to keep salt water out, not in. Blue grease is you're friend.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Rivverrat

Salt water will get inside every reel. It's impossible to keep it out & still have a friction free, smooth running reel.

So the issue becomes how best to deal it once it's inside the reel. Multiple drain holes are a big plus here to my way of thinking. It gives salt water that's in a fluid & not a dry state a place to go while used or on the rack.

Salt water will never enter through these drain holes. Unless of course reel gets dunked or splashed. Even then your better off with them than with out. This along with regular maintanence you seem aware of & mentioned below by Dominick goes a long ways keeping most any reel pristine on the inside... Jeff

Dominick

Quote from: Rivverrat on January 13, 2019, 08:30:23 PM
Salt water will get inside every reel. It's impossible to keep it out & still have a friction free, smooth running reel.

So the issue becomes how best to deal it once it's inside the reel. Multiple drain holes are a big plus here to my way of thinking. It gives salt water that's in a fluid & not a dry state a place to go while used or on the rack.

Salt water will never enter through these drain holes. Unless of course reel gets dunked or splashed. Even then your better off with them than with out... Jeff
Yes.  Here is a clear example of the use of SaltAway.  Use SaltAway on the reel and all the salt will drain out and leave a salt resistant surface.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rivverrat

Dominick, you are exactly right. This would always be a good thing to practice regarding regular maintanance. Glad you brought this up... Jeff

texkan

I'm a bit fuzzy regarding the proper use of SaltAway. Is there a tutorial available anywhere? Also, thanks for the comments to my original question.

Les

Rivverrat

You can just spray the reel reel with it. Or remove the side plate to hit the internals. It's great stuff for when your not doing a complete tear down for maintenance... Jeff

Gman_WC

I've been using Salt-x for many years after every outting with great success. Spray down and follow up with soft brush with warm soapy water on rod and reels.  Drags on during wash and rinse, off with clicker when done. The spray bottle and 4oz concentrate always travels.
I cringe when I see gear put away salted or when party boats bring out rental gear with salt crusted when basic maintenance for a dozen set-ups would only take minutes.g
Walnut Creek, CA