A DIY line winder

Started by gstours, January 13, 2019, 05:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here,s what I made awile back,  old school,  on the cheep.  Butt it works good enough for me,  I put it off waay too long and whonder why?

It seem I was just waiting for something to come along as if by magic.

The drill was one that I had and well used,  I already had extra battery and charger.  Butt ive never taken out of the plastic deck wood holder as I got another bare tool fairly reasonable.   Its 1/2 inch,  variable speed,  and has plenty of power for this application.

This can spool on the line to the 6/0 penn tensioner reel.  and when the tensioner reel is moved to the right side square tube stand the drill can spool on line thru the drag of the tensioner reel to the reel you want to fill.
  The stand is adjustable and quite sturdy.  There are 2 stands on the 3/4 '' pc of plywood.

a 2 by four is screwed to the borrom on edge to clamp the table into the always handy bench vice.

the stand can be adgisted for to fit the centerline of the reel to be filled.

the cranking arm is adjustable some in the chuck as well.  plastic tubing protects the knob and crank arm.

The filled tensioner reel is moved and turned around. and is ready to go here.  This 6/0 size is recommended as it can produce plenty of drag for spooling on as tight of line as you desire and doesent seem to complain.   You may be limited by the drill size and the rpm desired if you get crazy.   Butt this works good.  cheep,  if your a diy person.
    Everytime this thing get used it makes me glad that I finally saw the light. :)

Cor

Very nice idea!

PS you forgot to mention the significance of the Cat and the spoon ;D ;D ;D
Cornelis

Alto Mare

Really cool Gary, it is now easy for anyone ele...thanks to you. ;)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jurelometer

Thanks for posting this Gary.

I have been thinking about putting together a winder using a drill motor.    And since the motor is relatively small, it made more sense to move the motor to center on the reel rather than moving the reel and having the motor location fixed.   But I didn't get any further than that.

I like that your mounting system makes it possible to  remove the drill.

Good stuff!  I am going to steal some of your ideas and toss this on the project list.

-J

Dominick

Gary, nice work for reel to reel.  How does is work when loading from a spool?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: Dominick on January 13, 2019, 09:22:26 PM
Gary, nice work for reel to reel.  How does is work when loading from a spool?  Dominick

Yep that was my concern - apart from that I like the idea :)

gstours

OK? now to sortout stuff,  and call for help ;D    The drill is variable speed and 1/2 inch chuck capacity.  I think you need torque and not speed firstly....The old 6/0 penn has good old slo gears.   this help the drill deliver the torque to the future fish reel that need the tightly spooled generally braid.   I made the design of a way to hold the drill out og my head.   Hole saws cut deck plastic boards reel eassy.  Drilling is easy too.   I will send anybody that wants some scraps of this grey or some brown deck plastic for free.   cut to your ruff out reqest.   Ive used this plastic for spacers, rod hangers, and other stuff on the boat and in the yard.   anyway.
  Reeling on the new line for the tensioning fill is simply put it on the 6/0 penn shown and then adjust the reel to be filled for fishing up and or down using the hex nuts under the plywood table.  Then start the drill motor, slowly wrap across the tag end,  waving it across and then finally just start paralell wrapping.   It becomes apparent rather quickly the torqe differentuial or meaniny the dia/  vs  dia.  leverage factor.   As you continue spooling you cand adjust the filler and the tensioner reel as needed.
   This is only way I know to know what you got when you go fishing as you personally have felt the fuzz or knots, or whatever going on to you expensive trip.
   This is not posted to offend anybody.   Its a doo it yor selffyy thing.   Just go fishing.

gstours

nn I cant remember who sent me the cat and the spoon post reply,    butt if theey are out ther Thanks.   as I like it you may see it again.   

Gobi King

Simple and functional!

How wide is the steel tubing for the reel bracket, I love the hose clam solution. Thank you  solved my reel bracket void.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

gstours

Mr. Gobi K,  the square tubing is 1'' and about 1/8'' wall.   the tube is arc welded to a strap of 1/4'' steel.  the bolt heads are also tacked to the strap base so when loosening the base from below with a socket the bolt does not turn.   The sst hose clamps seem to work pretty good and a small hex  nutdriver  or a deep socket can be used to tighten the clamps.  sometimes for heavy duty line winding I will double the clamps.  but  with the flats of the tubetop and the flat reelseat mating up nicely theres not much problem.   

Mr. Dominick,  The winder shown here works great to wind the line from a spool as well.  use a rag over a gloved hand,  wrap a line around your palm,  use one hand to control the drill motor and the other hand to control the tension of the line and now you are the line leveler.   
   If you want to rough out the parts for your diy project i,d weld the stand or ?  for free just to help.  I,m not yet home butt will be soon,  i dont mind,  its easy and fun .....

The above picture shows the green line spool holder.  This doesent freespool, not tension the line.  A reelstand like off a 4/0 senator is attatched to the bottom of the spool holder so it can be used as well on the other stand instead of a reel.  The hose clamps stay on each stand and are not ever lost.
   Ive spooled line for friends as they like watching with one hand ;)

Reel 224

Got the general idea, now I have to find time to make one of my own.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

oc1

Nice one Gary.  Thank you.  Does the chuck on the drill have to line up exactly with the gear sleeve on the reel?
-steve

gstours

answer is best as possible line up especially when the line pressure becomes greater.   Butt if you look a the pikx there are enough adjustments both vertical with the drill holder thru the plywood table,   and the square tube reel stand with the hose clamps to make it eyeball perfect,  unless youve had a few to many.    Ok, punn intended,     only to help the 12 yr olds here spyin on whats daddy doin now!!!
     The winder shown was never designed to be in any pictures..... Anybody can see that...... Its the Alaska bush people version of how to>>>>>>>> ;D