a DIY spool holder for filling your anything normal.

Started by gstours, January 14, 2019, 04:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here some pictures out of my file to add to the post about the power winder.   as i,m traveling its from stored files.  butt thats still the same.  The idea is simple.   keepthe spool free to spin butt control the over spin, and mount it some whey.   So here goes.

The average expected size spools of line should be part of the design.....as I,m not spooling lots of mono for my fishing the 3x4 size spools seem adiqiute for the desighn pictures.   
   The plywood sides and base are something that most people can obtain easily.  a 1/4 inch carriage bolt, some washers and nuts hold the  spool to the sides and hold the spool in place. 

These plastic cones i found years ago are just the bomb for centering the spools with a quarter inch post hole...
     If anybody does concrete construction these are a disposable spacer in "snap tie: wall forming.   These are generally lost to the backfill on most jobs ive worked on inthe past.....Nltta here. ;D
   some more ive scrounged. shown below.

Again if anybody wants a couple pair i,d be glad to give them to you free.  these work quite well for most spool sizes.
  A coil spring is used to add smooth easy pressure to the side of the spool to keep it centered without getting hot while spinning.
     generally I will add spray wd40 or ? to lube the plastic from gaulling from the heat.

Not show is a plastic sheet tab that I added to tension the spool from overspining.  its just a flap of plastic sheet that presses on the bottom or side of the spoool as a anti backlash thing as when your filling a tensioning reel you can add the line quite quickly in spool speed.
   As shown below butt not with detail the line spooler is clamped on the right hand stand with reel clamps.   I used a reel stand, base, and screwed it to the plywood bad so It could be removed and held in place with the hose clamps like the power wound stuff on the left side.   I,m sure theres goinna be questions.   The idea is sound,  everybody can take the idea and modify and improve stuff as they see fit.     Thanks to ALAN,   i,m here and love helpin if I can.     Cheers. ;)

gstours

yes its not pretty.  anybody could do better,  butt its on the cheep.  still works great for dispensing the line from a spool.
       The picture below shows a plastic sheet thick washer with the lever crank handle.  the handle is epoxyed into the plastic washer/nut thats tapped for the 1/4 inch bolt threads.   The springs can be added to space the thinner spools,  the small diameter coil spring show here is used to prevent the threaded plastic washernut from turning.   its easier than a double nut or anything else I have used in the past.   For small reels sometimes I crank on the line by hand using a rag and or glove for the tensioner.   It works.

Dominick

Gary you could place that spool holder behind the 6/0, make 2 or 3 wraps around the 6/0 spool and use the tension on the 6/0 spool to tension the line onto the reel you are loading.  I trust you understand this explanation.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.