Help with guide sizes on 37kg build.

Started by ScottOz, January 14, 2019, 08:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottOz

Hi Guy's, Building 37kg rod and need a bit of help with guide layout.
Reel shimano tyrnos 50 2 speed.
Line 100lb braid backing with long 80lb mono top shot.
Only ever use a plaited double. No windons or leader knots.
Blank is American tackle axst56xxh
Alloy gimbal and seat and nylon slick butt.
Gimlbal to reel centre 16 inches.
Will be using alps st turbo style guides with a alps rx tip.
OK there's the info, now my questions.
Do you think a size 20 stripper will be OK for the 50 size reel?
Would a size 12 be as small as you would go?
So at present this is what I am thinking for the layout
20,16,12,12,12,12,12 and alps rx roller tip.
Could end up with one less 12 depending on how it looks. Rod mainly used for sharking from small boat and yaked baits on the beach.
Any and all advice welcomed.
Tight lines Scott.

Swami805

I think I'd start with a 25 and go down to number 10's. The  stripper needs to be a little taller than a 20 for that reel. With no knots a #10 is plenty big, would work fine with a wind on too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

ScottOz

So does it go 25,20,16,12,12,10,10 or 25,16,12,12,10,10,10?
Do not want to order guides I don't need. Especially in the big sizes.
Cheers Scott.

Swami805

I'd do 25-20-16-12-10-10-10 and then a #10 tip. You could double the 12's if you want but there's no real benefit since knots aren't an issue. Sounds like a sweet set-up.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

agree with Sheridan; the last such rod I built for a member I used a 25 stripper due to height and width of the 9/0 he was using, the 50 will be wider still. you didn't say length of rod but assuming 6' stand-up configuration in that class, I would go with six guides if it were me. I doubt that tip flexes enough to warrant 7.

ScottOz

Blank is 5 foot 6 inch. And yes 6 will more then likely be enough.So if a 25 is used as striper is the 2 nd guide a 20 or a 16? THANKS

thorhammer

For me I'd go 25-16-12-12-12-12-16 tip. This is my personal build design on these because I use surgeon loop-to double uni knot shock leader and it rolls through guides easily- maybe not the case for you though.

day0ne

I also would use nothing smaller than a 12. I have several conventional popping rods built this way (from the factory) and really like them
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter