Main Menu

Flying Fish Lures

Started by Dominick, January 18, 2019, 03:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

I posted photos of my experiment with Flying Fish Lures before but lost them with the Photobucket fiasco. Here are the photos with an explanation of what transpired.

"Hi Alan Tani members.  I purchased a couple of flying fish lures and thought I would post some pictures, since I re-rigged one of them.  I changed the hook pattern from the bottom of the lure to coming out of the top and adding on a trailing double hook.  I intend to use the lure for kite fishing if all works out when I get down to Cabo.  Enjoy.  Dominick"

After posting I went to Los Cabos for Tuna.  Here is where the story ends because the experiment did not work.  I gave the lures away because someone thought they were cool. 

"Hi everyone:  As you can see in the thread that started this I rerigged the flying fish lures.  I must report that the idea did not work.  The use of a double trailing hook was a mistake.  First of all I never got to use the lures on a kite.  Second I did drag them behind the boat for a while, but they did not run true.  The double hook kept bouncing up and getting snagged in the soft lure.  Then the lure would tumble over the wave, not acting very enticing.  While the idea was a good one (even if I say so myself) but the use of a double hook did not work.  The whole idea was to be able to hook a Tuna on a short strike.  I will try it again with a treble hook.  I believe a treble hook will allow for some drag in the water and not bounce like the double hook did.  The third hook dragging in the water will act like a stabilizer keeping the lure running true.  I will report back when I try the treble hook so that we will all know if it works.  Dominick

I never got around to using the treble hooks because it was difficult to work with the material and someone said those flying fish were cute so I gave them to him.  He's a non-fisherman so I don't know what he did with them.  Dominick

I usually have a little refreshment while experimenting.  It gets the creative juices flowing. (Highly recommend this winery)

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Fishy247

He was right. That flying fish is cute. :D

Cor

Did you go fast enough for the fish to become airborne, then they will for sure come in to their own?
Also agree they do look cute ;D
Cornelis

Lunker Larry

put some shrink wrap on the hook and wire shaft to hold the hook out straight and away from the bait body.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Miles Offshore

I alsohave been playing with them but didnt have much success either. The kite guys had some success but i dont have the patience for it. I was rigging them trying to copy the kite action off an outrigger but designed more to dance like a greenstick rig. If that makes sense, lol. Keeping leads in them all did not work. Going to redo them with only weight in the rear one. I want to see yellowfins air out trying to eat them, lol.
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Gfish

Most of the time, if I succeed with what I think is a great idea, it's lots a trial and error. Those times when I give-up, are usually only temporary and may well be overcome in time, as long as I keep that: "this is a great idea!", thing in the back of my mind.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Lunker Larry

Wasn't there a bass bait called the flying lure years back? One of those You've Seen it on TV things? It essentially was designed to drift forward so you could get it under docks etc.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Cor

Quote from: Miles Offshore on January 20, 2019, 04:16:21 PM
I alsohave been playing with them but didnt have much success either. The kite guys had some success but i dont have the patience for it. I was rigging them trying to copy the kite action off an outrigger but designed more to dance like a greenstick rig. If that makes sense, lol. Keeping leads in them all did not work. Going to redo them with only weight in the rear one. I want to see yellowfins air out trying to eat them, lol.
Yellowfin will jump on any surface lure you tow behind your boat not only flying fish!   That is if they are in the mood to jump.
Cornelis

Miles Offshore

Thats funny but so true guys, sometimes the yellowfins get very finicky, hence last may when the only ones catching were a couple kite guys.  Heres one of the ones i made up to pull on a long rigger so that it looks like a greenstick bait. Except flyers instead of squids. The Small flyers are on droppers, 3' long ~6/8 ft apart. Large flyer has about a 1-1/2 oz egg.  Small ones have an oz or so , they are coming off.
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Miles Offshore

We pull a lot of bars too, but ai love trying something new as long as it looks good in the water , ill pull it ......unless i dont have confidence in it , then it never sees water again, lol. But i like the way you. Think Dominick!
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

gstours

Ya, Dommie don't be a quitter...... Try it again......Modify the back hook...... Don,t stop now..... you could be on the everyone toasting you..... with a Hi Five..... :-*

Dominick

Quote from: gstours on January 21, 2019, 03:39:22 AM
  Ya, Dommie don't be a quitter...... Try it again......Modify the back hook...... Don,t stop now..... you could be on the everyone toasting you..... with a Hi Five..... :-*
I put it back on my list.   :-*  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.