8 feet vs 10 feet rod

Started by Reel Beaker, January 18, 2019, 10:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

Does anyone knows roughly how much more casting distance you can get when we move from a 8 to 10 feet rod? Is the increment noticeable at all?

Captain64-200

The casting distance depending on so many parameters (including your personal skills ) , that ,in my opinion , I can't answer your question .   
Fred from Biarritz ,

Jeri

I would suggest that all other things being equal, your distance should definitely go up. Even to the stage where for general casting, with a fixed spool reel (spinner) your distances will go up considerably.

During recent years in our surf fishing, we changed over to braid and fixed spool reels, and while we started with standard 14', we immediately noticed improvements stepping up to 14'-6" and subsequently 15' long rods.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Tiddlerbasher

Surf/beach fishing, in the UK, 14, 15 and 16' rods are the norm for distance work.

Frank

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on January 18, 2019, 12:08:49 PM
Surf/beach fishing, in the UK, 14, 15 and 16' rods are the norm for distance work.

I know it's a matter of personal preference but what do you consider the optimum length from the reel to the butt cap?

Thanks,

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Captain64-200

Quote from: Jeri on January 18, 2019, 11:40:04 AM
I would suggest that all other things being equal,

That's the problem ,  all other things can't be equal  . From 14 to 15  (or  better 8 to 10 like Reel Beaker ask   )  the number / locations of guides has to be modified  ,the rod  taper , the tip diameter size too , total weight ...not only the lenght .
Fred from Biarritz ,

Reel Beaker

Rods that are 12' and above are considered surf rods right?

So anything lesser than that are normal rods? What are the odds of finding a decent 10-11' rod? I see mostly rods up to 8-9' in tackle shops. Anything above that, the selection is pretty limited..

thorhammer

Well, a surf rod can be any rod you chuck in the surf...But generally, I would say 8' is the minimum. The purpose of length is two-fold: hold line above breakers and get distance if needed. These two parameters dictate what you need in a surf rod. Tony, the Rockfish Ninja her,e is using 7-8 rods i believe, to target rockfish near the bank and not having to keep line above breakers in a rod holder. Jeri is the opposite in SA. So it depends on your application, but to answer your question, yes you should expect a good bit more distance  in a 10' and so on. HOWEVER: all rods are not equal: you can by a 15' Ugly Stick that is heavy with three feet of mushy tip, and get easily outcast by someone with an 11' graphite rod with good technique. You didn't specify if you are using bait and lead or throwing lures, or both, but a 10' or 11' composite rod can be had economically if you look around and order if you must. Okuma and Sea Striker both offer serviceable 10' rods under $70 which have chunked pretty well for me. Avoid the $30 touristy models, and fish your 8' til you are able to find what you want. You should also check caigslist, pawn shops / flea markets in your area and buy for pennies on the dollar. I've bought Loomis, St Croix, Lamiglas, Penn rods this way for big discount.

CapeFish

Don't you have rods for surf lure fishing? We now have a pretty wide selection in South Africa ranging from 9 to 12 ft for that purpose both in spinning and multiplier configuration. Well the variety is reasonable for here, we don't nearly have the tackle market of the US. We do, however get Shimano, Daiwa, Penn and Loomis rods that you probably don't get there. They are in this 9-12ft bracket. I reckon if you have brand X rod in 8ft and a 10ft model and you use the same reel and line on both it will be a reasonable comparison and pretty sure you will be casting further with the 10ft. If you start comparing fibre glass to graphite and conventional to spinning then it becomes a bit of an apples and pears situation.

RowdyW

Surf rods generally start at 9 ft. & can be as long as you want it. Surf rods generally have a longer butt then say a boat rod to get a better whip action. These descriptions are not written in stone though. Remember that the longer the rod the more leverage the fish has against you. 10-11 ft. are generally the average length in use other then specialty rods. Of course any rod you cast from the beach can be called a surf rod.         Rudy

Tiddlerbasher

If you are chucking lures 9-12'. For UK sea bass fishing I am still using a 12' carbon/kevlar rod - 2 1/4 lb test curve - built by Paul Boote in the eighties (iirc) for carp fishing - a great rod for lures up to about 3oz. For heavier bait and weight (4-6oz) I use a 13 or 14ft mostly - conventional reel mounted down at the butt end (controlled by the left hand during the cast). I also sometimes use an extension piece on the butt so the reel is in a more conventional location (right hand control) - remove the extension after the cast/playing the fish - EDIT that should have read remove extension having finished playing the fish before re-casting ::) Read twice before hitting 'post' doh!

Having re-read my post I wish to clarify/correct a couple of points:
Most butt extensions are to facilitate reeling in or placing the rod in a holder/sand spike. They are only used when the conventional reel is mounted at the butt end (left hand cast control). The last one I used was specially made to cast with (16" long) and very strong - it was a cheaper option than buying a another longer rod.

festus

Quote from: thorhammer on January 18, 2019, 02:27:55 PM
HOWEVER: all rods are not equal: you can by a 15' Ugly Stick that is heavy with three feet of mushy tip, and get easily outcast by someone with an 11' graphite rod with good technique. You didn't specify if you are using bait and lead or throwing lures, or both, but a 10' or 11' composite rod can be had economically if you look around and order if you must. Okuma and Sea Striker both offer serviceable 10' rods under $70 which have chunked pretty well for me.
A friend of mine swears that graphite Okuma Longitude surf rods in 12' length for about 70 bucks is the best bang for the buck.  He fishes for big flathead and blue catfish from shore exclusively using Carolina Rigs with no roll sinkers and cut skipjack or shad. 

thorhammer

that's the one i'm talkin bout Festus. i have a 9 and a 10 footer that do fine for chunking bait and sitting in a spike. i bit heavy for plugging all day but would do it.

festus

Quote from: thorhammer on January 18, 2019, 04:23:54 PM
that's the one i'm talkin bout Festus. i have a 9 and a 10 footer that do fine for chunking bait and sitting in a spike. i bit heavy for plugging all day but would do it.
Here  you go, Catfish Dave uses the Okuma Longitude CX series rods and consistently catches as many or more big catfish from shore than boat fishermen.

oc1

I agree with John.  Rods can quickly get too long to be comfortable to hold all day because they are so tip heavy.  Part of the reason surf rod handles are so long is that the handle helps counterbalance the long heavy tip.  If you are going to bait and wait in a sand spike it is less of a concern than if you are plugging.
-steve