How detailed do you get for seasonal maintenance?

Started by grekim, January 19, 2019, 04:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

mmm....
judging from the response here, i am over-doing my reel mantainance.
Guess i will start stripping everything down once in 1 and a half years or when they exhibit problems. 

Donnyboat

Or when they exhibit problems, surtainly don`t wont a fish on when that happens, loose a good fish, and it is getting costly. happy fishing cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Cor

Quote from: Reel Beaker on January 26, 2019, 12:49:38 PM
mmm....
judging from the response here, i am over-doing my reel mantainance.
Guess i will start stripping everything down once in 1 and a half years or when they exhibit problems. 
I was thinking, "is it possible to overdo maintenance".....if you enjoy doing it, a little bit of extra grease and oil can't do any harm?
But what about the spring or washer that disappears, I have twice dropped something that got damaged in the process, the constant undoing and tightening of screws damages them and they need replacing eventually and or threads get stripped.

So yes, I think you can over do it! ???
Cornelis

oc1

Quote from: Cor on January 27, 2019, 06:15:45 AM

I agree, especially with modern light weight composite reels.  There is a limit to the number of times you can take them apart and put them back together without wearing out the screws and screw holes.  The manufacturers brag about smoothness and how many ball bearings their reels have.  But, that smoothness and those ball bearings come with a heavy maintenance cost.   Personally, once I have been inside a reel once or twice it becomes a chore and not particularly interesting or fun.  I think the best reels are those that can handle abuse and keep on doing their job without much maintenance. 
-steve

handi2

With my blue water trolling reels I might go three years without a service. They are always cleaned correctly after each outing. The line gets serviced each year.

We use four spinning reels on our trips. It's the same with those too.

If you service them correctly and take care of them you don't need to do it each year for most of us. If your fishing heavily more service intervals are needed.

Keith

I have charter captains that bring their reels in each year. One Capt really takes care of his and it shows when you open them up. The other ones will make you cringe.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

I do maintenance on a couple of reels for a friend.
On new reels, if I clean them once a year they stay happy.  Unfortunately he waited 3 years and I had to take them completely apart, but was able to keep them  as new.

I think a reel should be serviced at least once a year, doing so will keep that reel it top shape.
Different story if you only fish it once or twice a year.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel Beaker

Quote from: oc1 on January 27, 2019, 08:33:43 PM
Quote from: Cor on January 27, 2019, 06:15:45 AM

I agree, especially with modern light weight composite reels.  There is a limit to the number of times you can take them apart and put them back together without wearing out the screws and screw holes.  The manufacturers brag about smoothness and how many ball bearings their reels have.  But, that smoothness and those ball bearings come with a heavy maintenance cost.   Personally, once I have been inside a reel once or twice it becomes a chore and not particularly interesting or fun.  I think the best reels are those that can handle abuse and keep on doing their job without much maintenance. 
-steve

I feel that small flat-head screws are more proned to getting bricked. If the reel is still in production and screw parts are readily available it is not that bad. But i guess when reels are out of production, it may be time to retire the reel and let it seat as a paper-weight as a reminder of good old times...

Keta

Quote from: Reel Beaker on January 30, 2019, 03:47:40 PMBut i guess when reels are out of production, it may be time to retire the reel and let it seat as a paper-weight as a reminder of good old times...

My go to halibut reels were discontinued in the mid 80's and I will not let them gather dust.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

tholmes

The baitcasting reels that see regular use (a half dozen round Ambassadeurs) get a yearly teardown, cleaning, lube, new line and inspection for worn parts.

My spinning reels don't get as much use, so they get serviced on as "as needed" basis.
I also have 8 or 10 spincasters for the grandkids to use that get new line and clean 'n' lube as necessary.

Tom

chockpish

I fish salt water every other day! I use low profile bait casters! I usually tear them down, clean and re lube at the beginning of the season, and at the end! Roughly fourish months! But if I see one of my reels start to get rough, I'll tear it down, clean and re lube as needed, depending on how hard I fish that particular reel!! If it gets dunk, it's an immediate tear down and cleaning! But for the most part, after every outing,  I gently rinse off the salt water in the shower with warm water, towel dry, oil the spool bearing every two or three outings! Then the reels I Barely use, I clean them once a year during the winter! Just to get the dust off them and oil the bearings, just to make sure they still work well! Those are my freshwater reels, which I don't fish much anymore! I should start trout fishing again, but I just don't like those damn mosquito, black flies and all the other biting insects! Getting older and crabbier, according to my better half!
Tight lines, be safe, fish hsard!

Reelmeneer

Actually... my own reels does need some service! Too busy with the reels from the other fishers.. almost closed season for pike now over here in the netherlands, time to take the abu's apart and give them a full service..