4/0 senator LH

Started by milne, January 21, 2019, 06:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

Quote from: RowdyW on January 21, 2019, 10:26:39 PM
Col, your 113h is a 113hw. The plates were never marked for a hl or hlw. Penn used the same plates for the 113h,113hw hl, & hlw all marked h. It's not a frankinreel. Early 113hw's used 5 posts & later 113hlw's used 1 post & 2 aluminum crossbars.

Ahh, Thank you, now it's clear !
I was confused by the fact the plates weren't marked as such, just 113h.
Ok, well, I pilfered the inner rings off it, and because the Black LH reel is going to be a shelfy, today I pilfered and swapped over
the stand on another 113 which I fish with, so I don't mind it having some patina on a user reel.
So I will end up with a quite nice black 113 LH on the shelf, which was my end aim.
Thanks for clearing that up, I was confused...........
I'm like a computer,,,   sometimes you've got to punch the information into me !!!!

cheers
Col

sdlehr

Interesting that back in the 30's, post-depression, Penn spent the money for plate molds for all the different Long Beach (and maybe others I'm not trying too hard to think of) models but opted not to make different plate molds for the different models in the Special Senator series 30 years later - different times, different cost-cutting tactics, I guess ya gotta remain competitive and there's different ways to do that. In case you aren't aware, the Long Beach 61-62-63 all used the same dimension plates, the 60 and 65 used the same plates, and the 66-67-68 used the same dimension plates, but each had the model number molded in. I have two plates that were apparently intended as replacements for any of the 66-67-68 models, there is just a round empty mark on the mold where the number should be. Far as I know, there isn't a Long Beach 64..... the first few years of the 60 and 65 the model number wasn't on the head plate, the yardage was on the stand.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector