Penn Senator bearing "history"

Started by jzumi, January 21, 2019, 07:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Quote from: jzumi on January 22, 2019, 05:45:57 PM

Now, getting back to that 112H.  Yeah, I could get her running fine but I know what is likely to happen.  I'll put on 30 lb mono and my bud will fish it and maybe have great success.  And then I'll see it again in 4 or 5 or 9 or 10 years and it will have a funky drag and braid stuck in the spool gap and a big salmon rolling over and swimming away.  And none of us will be thinking, "wow, that is so fun."

John

Hey, be careful, John — you are talking about 75% of my clients.

If everyone was like you, and other knowledgeable folks on Alan's site — I would not have too much business!

😀😀😀

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

Quote from: Swami805 on January 22, 2019, 06:24:16 PM
If it's for someone who doesn't take care of their gear a 112h would be a good reel. Less moving parts and things that can go wrong.
As someone who never takes care of their gear, I say you nailed it.  If the reel starts sounding crunchy, just squirt some oil in the ports and keep going.
-steve

jzumi

Quote from: xjchad on January 22, 2019, 06:11:39 PM
John,
I can see where you're coming from!

BUT, if your buddy fails to maintain his 112H and causes all kinds of headaches, is he really going to maintain a newer, "better" (more expensive) reel?
Just wondering...

Good point! I think my bias may be showing...

Gfish

No b.bearings in the 112H. What about the 110 &111(1/0 &2/0) Senators, cause I thought all of em had b.bearings?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sdlehr

Quote from: Gfish on January 23, 2019, 07:29:11 AM
No b.bearings in the 112H. What about the 110 &111(1/0 &2/0) Senators, cause I thought all of em had b.bearings?
The pre-war (actually pre-1950) Penn reels that I collect have bushings in the smaller Senators, I don't think the regular Senators switched to ball bearings in the smaller models..... only one schematic on Mystic Parts for each reel, they have bushings. And the smaller Senator models had the 5 o'clock handle position from the beginning and it was never changed to the 7 o'clock position. I think that holds true for the 1/0 through the 6/0, but it may only hold true through the 4/0 - I used to know that..... maybe dementia is beginning...
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

nelz

Quote from: Gfish on January 23, 2019, 07:29:11 AM

The 110 has bushings. Surprised me when I did the first maintenance since I was expecting ball bearings as in the bigger Senators.

Gfish

One thing I've noticed about reels with b.bearing cups as part of the the spool assembly: removal of the b.bearing can be/usually is, pretty difficult.
If a lever drag reel can crunch a pinion bearing from axial load pretty easily, what am I doing to b.bearings as I try an pry them out from say; a Senator, with bearing-cup corrosion problems?
This adds weight to my opinion that favors bushings over b.bearings.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!