cast net question

Started by Three se7ens, October 16, 2014, 11:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

I just picked up an Ahi 400 cast net for shrimping, and I noticed it has a different horn than most other nets Ive seen.  The Ahi net doesnt have any dividers, nor does it have a second piece that keeps the handline from going down into the net.  Bass Pro brand on left and Ahi on the right in the picture

Does this make a difference in casting?  I did notice the braille lines were always twisted, and got tangled more often that my other net.

Cone

None of my nets have the braille seperators or dividers. If the net is made right it shouldn't make a difference in how they throw. JMO  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

rjones

None of the cast nets I have use a divider at the top.  If you run a strip of duck tape around the bottom edge of the net just above the weights it will help the net stay open longer while sinking in the water and result in more shrimp in the net.
Rob

Three se7ens

How many Braille lines should an 8' net have?  I counted only 14 on this net, and already had one come off.  And to make matters worse, the Braille lines were tangled when the net was tied, and I can't get it out.  I'm planning to replace all the Braille lines and increase the overall number to around 30, and use crimps instead of the poor knots currently on it.

Cone

The number of brailes  vary. On a 12 foot radius net I normally put 30 or 32. I try not to have more than 2 1/2 to 3 feet of lead line between brailles.      Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

drewtiger13

Quote from: Three se7ens on October 19, 2014, 06:32:23 PM
How many Braille lines should an 8' net have?  I counted only 14 on this net, and already had one come off.  And to make matters worse, the Braille lines were tangled when the net was tied, and I can't get it out.  I'm planning to replace all the Braille lines and increase the overall number to around 30, and use crimps instead of the poor knots currently on it.

though it is true that the larger the net, the more Brailles you want, the number of Brailles is determined by circumference rather than diameter.  Several methods:

1.  Circumference (in feet)/ N (of Brailles). The result is the distance between lines.  Not used very often, as you have to measure & mark the lead line where each goes, which takes a lot more time than method 2.

2. Most common method is to count the number of leads, divide by a test number like 24, and adjust up or down until you have an even number. That number is how many leads between Brailles.  If you can't get an even number that is close to the number of Brailles you want, you will either have to use the 1st method or be willing the use #3...

3.  When you don't have the time for #1, and #2 would result in far more of less Brailles than you want, you can use the second method, but vary the number of leads between brailles slightly.  For example, a net with 118 weights with 30 brailles would end up with a span of 5 weights after each of 22  Brailles, and a span of only 4 weights after each of the last two.

Cuttyhunker

An FYI for you cast net guys looking to buy soon, just got a notice from a vendor the Chinese ones are subject to the new tariff and will be going up.
Doomed from childhood