Shimano TLD 15 Question

Started by DesertGuy, January 23, 2019, 04:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertGuy

Hello everyone  ;D

I have a TLD 15 that is experiencing some issues. This reel has only been used three times. Didn't work so well the first time, worked great the second time, and didn't work at all the third time.

Problem: The reel won't retrieve. Although the drag is tight, during handle cranks the spool doesn't retrieve. Almost like some gears are sheared or something along those lines.

I looked through the TLD 15 tutorial up above and completely took the reel apart, but I didn't find any obvious damage. I also used the "search" function but didn't see anything that caught my eye.

What should I be looking for? Any insights? Thoughts? The bearings are all nice and clean with light grease one them.

Anyhow, this site is awesome and I'm glad I came across it...this seems to be an incredibly knowledgeable group of folks. Thanks for the help!

-R
Mike

alantani

ok, a couple of things.  you feel the lever load up with pressure when you push it to strike, correct?  compared to free, there is a slight load when you crank the handle, right?  and lastly, you've checked the spool to make sure that the braid is not slipping on the spool. 

ok, one last possibility is that the retaining pin for the main gear has sheared or popped out completely.  if it has, you should be able to put the pin back in, tap it a couple of times, maybe even use a small punch, and it should stay put.  i've had to use a small piece of a stainless steel welding rod too make a new pin one time.  the steel is pretty soft. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

DesertGuy

Thanks for your reply :)

The problem is fixed. A little backstory on the reel. I used to work at Dicks sporting goods as the fishing and hunting guy. Occasionally, people would return stuff because it either didn't work, it broke, or they just didn't want the item any longer. I would get great deals on these items because they couldn't be sold and would just be returned to backstock. Anyhow, this particular reel was brought in by a guy less than a week after he bought it, claiming, "it doesn't work." I bought it for really, really cheap and went out with it and ran into the problem where it wouldn't retrieve.

So, as I was taking it apart, I noticed that the pressure release spring fell out as soon as I took off the cooling shield and drag plate. It didn't occur to me until this morning that the spring should not just fall out as it should be secured between two bearings, according to your TLD 15 post. Sure enough, it looks like the main shaft was incorrectly assembled, with the main spring sitting outside of the two bearings.

It appears the problem is fixed, thank you :)

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!