Need Advice On Loose/Wobbly Early 60's Abu Ambassadeur 5000 Frame

Started by Walleye Guy, January 23, 2019, 07:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: Walleye Guy on February 06, 2019, 06:16:08 PM
I have some thoughts on a fixture to hold the two frame side plates concentric so I can peen over the cross bars with a custom punch.  I'm going to meet with a machinist friend to discuss this (he loves weird projects) but it might take a few weeks.  I'll be sure to post any updates so we can all learn.  I realize that it's easier and cheaper to simply replace the frame, but the used frames I've seen on Ebay were around $25 and corroded.  I have two loose frames that are in beautiful shape, so I'm hoping to fix them. 

Forget the idea of buying another frame.  You only have to do that if the suggestions for repair don't work.  You'll never know if you don't try.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

Tightening the side plate screws will keep the frame square and rigid.  With the reel disassembled, you can make any Ambassadeur frame flex and wobble bare-handed.  Some are worse than others  The weak peening is not for structural integrity, but convenience.  If it was for structural integrity then ABU would have pressed them in like the gear shaft.
-steve

Walleye Guy

I realized the other day that I didn't report back on my project.  Sorry, my bad.  The fixture that I set up did not work, but a spring loaded center punch worked perfectly.  I did one "pop"/punch at 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock positions around each loose post. 

drumbum

Quote from: Walleye Guy on June 10, 2020, 05:06:41 PM
I realized the other day that I didn't report back on my project.  Sorry, my bad.  The fixture that I set up did not work, but a spring loaded center punch worked perfectly.  I did one "pop"/punch at 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock positions around each loose post. 

Glad the technique worked for you.  I have done several frames this way.

Tip: with the slotted thumb screw reels, after finger tight, give an 1/8th additional turn with a dime or penny.