alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Need Advice On Loose/Wobbly Early 60's Abu Ambassadeur 5000 Frame
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
February 22, 2019, 04:37:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Advice On Loose/Wobbly Early 60's Abu Ambassadeur 5000 Frame  (Read 381 times)
Dominick
Administrator

San Mateo, California

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 04:50:43 PM »

I have some thoughts on a fixture to hold the two frame side plates concentric so I can peen over the cross bars with a custom punch.  I'm going to meet with a machinist friend to discuss this (he loves weird projects) but it might take a few weeks.  I'll be sure to post any updates so we can all learn.  I realize that it's easier and cheaper to simply replace the frame, but the used frames I've seen on Ebay were around $25 and corroded.  I have two loose frames that are in beautiful shape, so I'm hoping to fix them. 

Forget the idea of buying another frame.  You only have to do that if the suggestions for repair don't work.  You'll never know if you don't try.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 10:02:01 PM »

Tightening the side plate screws will keep the frame square and rigid.  With the reel disassembled, you can make any Ambassadeur frame flex and wobble bare-handed.  Some are worse than others  The weak peening is not for structural integrity, but convenience.  If it was for structural integrity then ABU would have pressed them in like the gear shaft.
-steve
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 10:10:12 PM by oc1 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: