Blackie Sideplate Cracks.

Started by Frank, January 26, 2019, 04:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Anyone used to dealing with Blackie sideplates realize that cracks are almost inevitable from the screw holes that mount the sideplate to the frame due to a lack of outer metal reinforcement rings. My question is has anyone actually experienced a catastrophic failure due to this cracking that actually put the reel out of service? I personally never have.

Thanks,

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

RowdyW

First off the only Penn reels I know of that are refered to as "Blackies" are Special Senator 114-H reels with black sideplates. They are not rare but are uncommon And have support rings. Any reel without side ring support is liable to get cracked plates from over tightening the screws. Best option is to just replace the plates.       Rudy

Frank

Quote from: RowdyW on January 26, 2019, 04:49:59 PM
First off the only Penn reels I know of that are refered to as "Blackies" are Special Senator 114-H reels with black sideplates. They are not rare but are uncommon And have support rings. Any reel without side ring support is liable to get cracked plates from over tightening the screws. Best option is to just replace the plates.       Rudy

Not asking about Penn reels. They are Newells and they are known as "Blackies" The sideplates are impossible to find without cracks.

Bryan Young

Rudy,

Blackies are Newell's first true production reels.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Personally, I have not seen many cracked sideplates where the screws are located, mainly near the bearing cups. With that said, I haven't seen a problem so far with the crack near the screw hole but have where the crack is near the bearing cup or traveling towards the bearing cup.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Frank

sdlehr

Um, I know this sounds obvious, but why not trying to avoid over-tightening the screws if this is a problem. Red lock-tite might be of use if you're worried about them backing out..... but if the problem is that the plates crack from over-tightened screws, the most obvious solution is NOT to over-tighten the screws..... am I missing something?
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

vilters

cracking @ the screw holes is common, supposedly not an issue structurally, though not confidence inspiring. if using loctite, use blue, not red, red is considered permanent - for things you want not to come apart ever, blue is of lesser strength.

Frank

Quote from: sdlehr on January 26, 2019, 05:53:21 PM
Um, I know this sounds obvious, but why not trying to avoid over-tightening the screws if this is a problem. Red lock-tite might be of use if you're worried about them backing out..... but if the problem is that the plates crack from over-tightened screws, the most obvious solution is NOT to over-tighten the screws..... am I missing something?

Sdleher, please give me a little more credit then that. I have never overtightened one yet. These were used reels purchased off the big auction site.

Swami805

I have a few plates with cracked screw holes, I got them cracked to harvest parts. Over tighten or dropped too, not a lot of meat around the screw. Similar to Penn mag powers cracking. I've haven't seen one fail from it but a crack it the screw hole but a bearing cup would be a problem.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Frank

sdlehr

Quote from: Frank on January 26, 2019, 06:01:18 PM
Quote from: sdlehr on January 26, 2019, 05:53:21 PM

Sdleher, please give me a little more credit then that. I have never overtightened one yet. These were used reels purchased off the big auction site.
Sorry, no offense intended. I don't know if you're collecting or fishing, tightening screws yourself or not..... If these are user reels and you're worried about the structural integrity the plate could be repaired. I've done many more extensive sideplate repairs.....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Frank

No offence taken. I fish all my equipment. If I'm not out 4 days a week in season I feel like I got gypped. I only have one reel I don't fish and that's a clear Newell 220.

reel man

A more permanent solution is to insert a sleeve in the side plate holes to eliminate the cracking due to compression.

Frank

Excellent idea, Jerry. Thanks for sharing that one.