Penn 750SS Line will not retrieve evenly on the spool

Started by Fishinggut, February 03, 2019, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishinggut

I have a Penn 750SS that the line will bunch up when retrieved back onto the spool.   The line will bunch up on the outer part of the spool.  Any idea what could be causing this and any quick fixes?

handi2

First check to see if the white thrust washer is on the spool shaft or stuck to the bottom of the spool.

Then watch the spool as you turn the reel handle. The spool should evenly rise up and down as you turn the handle. If it is not rising up and down evenly there is a problem with the crosswind gear or crosswind block inside the reel.

I will post a schematic in a few minutes.

Keith

http://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/7500ss.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Penn

Are you using braid or mono?  Good info there from Keith as well.

tony

Alto Mare

Good advice above.
Usually when the line bunches up on the spool, it's just a matter of adding a shim on the bottom of the existing thrust washer.
If you take a look at the bottom of the spool, you should notice a really shiny spot where the thrust washer rides, that's a clear indication that the spool has worn a little...it doesn't take much.

I would start there, if that doesn't help I would follow the two gentlemen advice above.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.