Penn International II 30TW, 50w and Shimano Tiagra 50W, intimidated

Started by Christopher M Songer, January 28, 2019, 03:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

What have I got myself into. I'm good with Penn 320 GTi or 209 or even Senator 114HL's but I got these today. Must say I like the larger reels because the parts are so big and easy to work with but first time with this much corrosion and type of Drag. Do not see these in CLE Ohio much! Advise welcome. Going to start looking here for tutorials and pre-treat with some PB blaster penetrating catalyst.
Always go forward, never go straight

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

I have worked with the 30 and 50.  they are not complicated.  There is a lot of info in the tutorials for those reels.  go slow and if you run into trouble ask.  I don't know about the Makaira but Alan is a whiz with them.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Christopher M Songer

Christopher M Songer

So far so good. Figured out and viewed the tutorial.

Christopher M Songer

From the Penn Int II 30TW. What are they, where do they go and what are they for?  Thank you.

Christopher M Songer

Donnyboat

Hi Christofer, I thought they are more for changing gears, go to Mystic parts net sight & download the schematics for each reel, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

JRD

Quote from: Christopher M Songer on January 29, 2019, 12:11:41 PM
From the Penn Int II 30TW. What are they, where do they go and what are they for?  Thank you.

They are part of the plunger sub group.  Look at your main gear / shaft assembly  there should be two holes 2/3 the way down the hollow shaft.   There is a spring inside the shaft that tensions the plunger.  Those ride in the side plate collar and when the plunger is depressed retract into the shaft to allow the gear shift