Colorful young Kentuckian's tips for best catfish baits

Started by festus, January 28, 2019, 09:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conchydong

Looks like Kudzu to me. Sure has taken over many areas of the South.

wfjord

Quote from: Swami805 on January 29, 2019, 01:36:07 PM
A bit off topic but is that vine growing over everything kudzu?

Yep. The crop of the south.

Dominick

Quote from: wfjord on January 29, 2019, 05:05:45 PM
Quote from: Swami805 on January 29, 2019, 01:36:07 PM
A bit off topic but is that vine growing over everything kudzu?

Yep. The crop of the south.

I read somewhere that someone is trying to use kudzu as biofuel.  It sure looks destructive.  I hope it works.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

Quote from: Dominick on January 29, 2019, 07:14:14 PM
trying to use kudzu as biofuel. 
It'll never work because Kudzu is too difficult to harvest.  Without structure to climb on the biomass per acre is not that great.
-steve

festus

We used to never see kudzu except maybe in the cities around high tension power lines or in the mountains in reclaimed coal stripped mines. Now it's everywhere.  I'm fairly sure this young man is somewhere near Harlan, KY in the heart of coal country.

Reel 224

I have a good friend in Kentucky in the coal mining area and like you say the Kudzu is there in bunches and grows very fast, it is very invasive. By the way my friend speaks with a long drawl and slow. When I spend time with him I pickup on speaking like him. People here in central NJ think I'm from the south anyway. ;D

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

Poke boy that is every ware here. I have ate a bunch of it mixed with eggs.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

festus

Anybody tried ramps?  It's sort of a wild leek, grows in the higher elevations in early spring, dies out about mid to late May.  AKA ramsons in Great Britain. Used to be a ramp festival in Cosby, TN.  Went quite a few times with my parents in my younger days,  there were usually at least 30,000 in attendance.  Governors, senators, musicians such as Roy Acuff, Chet Atkins, Tennessee Ernie Ford,  Minnie Pearl, Archie Campbell, Brenda Lee etc.  Seemed everybody was there except for Dolly Parton. Smelliest place I ever been.  But I've used ramps as a garlic substitute in chili, spaghetti sauce, and eggplant parmesan.  Makes a good additive for white gravy with breakfast, bacon, eggs, and biscuits. Also supposedly good as a tonic to kill worms in children and other ailments. 

One or two messes of poke sallet per year is plenty for me. It grows everywhere.  Pokeberry wine supposedly eases arthritic pain, but I was always told pokeberries are poisonous.  Birds sure love them.

My dad grew up in McCreary County, KY.  It's been said that it's the poorest county in the U.S.  That statistic popped up again this morning. If you've ever been there you'd believe it.  Not an incorporated city in the entire county.  Beautiful place to visit, but my dad got out of there as soon as he graduated college. After coal mining went out, meth labs, marijuana growing, opiate dealing and moonshining have overun the place.  ::)

Reel 224

Boy you Kentuckians sure know you herbs, my friend Ralf is a dictionary of information on all that is edible in the world.

Joe   

Robert Janssen

Reel 224

Shark Hunter

My Family on my Mom's side are From Whitesburg, Ky.
Been there many times.
My ancestors worked in the coal mines.
My Great Granny, Lulu Wright actually spoke on a National Geographic Special about Coal miners back then and the conditions they had to work in.
I have a License Plate on the front of my Truck that says "We Dig Coal".
Never dug a speck in my life, but it is in my veins.
A lot of my family talks just like that feller, and I understand every word. ;)
Life is Good!

Reel 224

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 01, 2019, 05:13:34 AM
My Family on my Mom's side are From Whitesburg, Ky.
Been there many times.
My ancestors worked in the coal mines.
My Great Granny, Lulu Wright actually spoke on a National Geographic Special about Coal miners back then and the conditions they had to work in.
I have a License Plate on the front of my Truck that says "We Dig Coal".
Never dug a speck in my life, but it is in my veins.
A lot of my family talks just like that feller, and I understand every word. ;)

Well I am not from Kentucky, I have lived my life so far in NJ except for 4 years in the Army. As a young boy we were heating our home with coal and cooking with it on a coal stove. I shoveled many pales of coal, tons of it as a matter of fact from a coal bin carried up two flights of stairs every day for 11 years until I went in the Army in 63. So I guess it's in my blood. :D

Joe