Where to start?

Started by Reel Beaker, January 30, 2019, 03:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

So i am taking a break from servicing my reels, and it will be a long time (1/2 -1 year maybe) before i start disassembling my reel for mantainance.
So i was wondering if i should try to fix some old rods with broken tips and guides during this period of time. These rods are cheap and i do not mind them being totally destroyed, so i kind of felt that they would be good to experiment on.

Anyone knows where is a good place to start to learn how to fix guides and tips? Do i need any specialized equipment also? Do i need to learn how to wrap guides?

Thanks.

Keta

Lots of info on the internet, try Youtube.  You can get by with a cardboard box to wrap, heck Alex excels with one and should be using a power wrapper.  Tips are easy, clean off the rod end and use hot glue to put the new one on.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=basic+rod+winding+and+repair

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Reel Beaker on January 30, 2019, 03:58:34 PM
............. These rods are cheap and i do not mind them being totally destroyed, so i kind of felt that they would be good to experiment on.

Anyone knows where is a good place to start to learn how to fix guides and tips? Do i need any specialized equipment also? Do i need to learn how to wrap guides?

Thanks.

since Lee mentioned my name I will put my two cents, you dont need any specialized or expensive equipment to build a custom rod at least with basic wraps and non fancy cork handles or anything.
check my especialized and expensive equipment that I've been using since almost 3 years now.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18922.0

and check my lastest rod from that cat box.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=27213.0

now, you need practice, a lot of practice and ask, ask every single doubt you have or read here and there, check videos, etc. Im fortunated of have recieved help from seasoned rod builders but even with their help I have to practice on some scrap rods I got on a fleamarket, you also have to test at least two different epoxies, not all of them works the same on your weather.

The Baja Guy

happyhooker

The late, great Dale Clemons was the godfather of so many rod builders.  His books are pretty easy to come by, and in many public libraries.  The older ones are fairly long in the tooth, but still have a way of explaining stuff that few others have.  The Rodbuilding.org site is informative too.

Frank

oc1

Just ask Dominick if you get stuck.
-steve

thorhammer

hey my man, you will be surprised what you can turn out with two V-blocks on a table....glue some felt, scrap leather etc. in the v, or screw on a couple drawer rollers to cradle the rod.

wrapping isn't that hard on the most basic of equipment- it's the finish. if you don't want to purchase a drying motor or sit there for hours rotating by hand, use a rod varnish rather than a two part epoxy.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.