Shimano Sahara4000fb ball bearings

Started by Martin_Trejo, January 31, 2019, 03:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin_Trejo

Hello everybody.  My Shimano Sahara4000fb is not running smooth at all, I took it apart hoping to fix the issue but I noticed the pinion bearing (not the roller one) is in really bad shape even after cleaning it.  I've gone to a couple of sources bu I don't want to buy the wrong piece.  I also want to upgrade the drag and maybe the rest of the bearings.  And just in case somebody argues the fact that it is an old reel, I'm aware of that but it is a project I want to accomplish.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Martin  

philaroman

any significant S/W use?  is the oscillating gear/block in good shape?  I had a salt-soaked 4000FA where they literally crumbled apart in my hands, while the main/pinion were merely discolored & worked fine...  make sure the low-grade integral parts are solid (or replaceable), before expensive upgrades:

pretty sure this is your pinion bearing (7X14X5mm - RD0026,BNT0807,TT0117):
https://www.dadsoletackle.com/ezo-spb-d18-7x14x5-bearing-687hzz.html
(if you also want to replace the main, they'll know the right size -- it's THE most common RD-0930)

also, the line roller can be upgraded to a bearing, but that involves swapping several surrounding parts

Martin_Trejo

Quote from: philaroman on January 31, 2019, 11:04:03 PM
any significant S/W use?  is the oscillating gear/block in good shape?  I had a salt-soaked 4000FA where they literally crumbled apart in my hands, while the main/pinion were merely discolored & worked fine...  make sure the low-grade integral parts are solid (or replaceable), before expensive upgrades:

pretty sure this is your pinion bearing (7X14X5mm - RD0026,BNT0807,TT0117):
https://www.dadsoletackle.com/ezo-spb-d18-7x14x5-bearing-687hzz.html
(if you also want to replace the main, they'll know the right size -- it's THE most common RD-0930)

also, the line roller can be upgraded to a bearing, but that involves swapping several surrounding parts

Wow, thanks for the info.  I opened and inspected everything and it loos good, the pinion bearing doesn't spin freely.  I cleaned and oiled it but there was no improvement, I might try again.  It's just a project I want to complete but if it turns out too complicated I'll just put it aside, I already have a couple of saltwater reels.

Tiddlerbasher

Shimano use standard size metric bearings (except perhaps the AR bearing). Measure the bearing and get a replacement stainless one from Boca Bearings.

sparidae

i have serviced one of my friend's sahara reel. It's FE model, not FB. But i am 100% sure that the same bearing size will be suitable to your FB.

Pinion bearing size is: 7x14x5 (as said that philaroman) if you want to replace the both drivegear bushings with a bearing, it's size 7x13x4

note that after the replacement for bushings, check if it's the gap between gear teeths or not. if yes, you also need an adjusting washers. it's used to take the gap between gear teeths.

sincerely.
. a fisher - dad - son - husband
reel maintenance