267: The Last Long Beach

Started by mo65, February 01, 2019, 08:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

This reel was only on the scene from 2000-2004. Along with it's sister the 268, they were the last incarnation of the legendary Long Beach line. They were the only LBs that used a graphite frame. They were about as far as one could take the ol' LB platform, and unfortunately, their antiquated slow speed probably didn't excite many. That time frame saw the entry of all the super fast, multi-bearing reels. It would take consumers a few years to realize the torque advantage of a slower gear, but in the meantime, the humble Long Beach faded into retirement.
   I was surfing eBay for a deal on a LB66...I had a project in mind...I wanted to put together a solid boat reel to use on the head boats and such. I saw a few of these 267s and though maybe that would be what I was looking for. I also noticed the condition of these reels' chromed parts was usually shot. The newer chromed parts seem to fall apart faster than the older chrome. I've seen this with the 209s and 309s too. On the reel I bought, you can see that the handle and top post are shot but the rings look like new. Same with the frame cover and decals.

The spool had trace corrosion too, but I think it will all wash off with a vinegar bath. It doesn't look to be penetrated under the anodizing.

These are the parts I'll be replacing, except those drag washers. I'll re-use those to make a 5-stack. None of these parts were "bad" except the gear sleeve and top frame post. The rest will make fine parts for a stock build.

The photo below shows a trashed gear sleeve versus an unused one. This is common on boat reels, where folks twist and wind the fish up, rather than use the rod to lift.

The new goodies! I used an old Penn steel main and it's matching pinion. The new yoke, jack, and sleeve are stainless steel. The new handle is a stock #24-66 blade with an eBay knob. It feels fantastic on this reel.

The spool was undamaged and cleaned up very nice. Since this reel will see the salt I coated the outer sides of the spool with Penn Blue.

I got this Cal's Purple to try on spinning reels, but I just had to sample some, so I lubed the drag stack with it. Those paying attention prolly see the two AR dogs in the background...ya don't suppose...

Yep, I double dogged this puppy! The area circled in yellow is the added dog and spring. I timed these simultaneous for lifting power.

Here she is...a killer boat reel for under $100! I dig me some Long Beach! 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Ron Jones

I really like these reels. They are basically inexpensive 4/0 Senators. They've worked for decades, and will work for decades more. Wish they made a 266!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

foakes

Terrific job, Mike —

Doesn't get any better than that!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Darin Crofton

Fantastic job, I've been eyeballing those reels for a little while, but didn't know much about them.
What is your drag #'s and what will you fish it at? Also, what's the difference in the 267 & 268?
Thanks, Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mo65

Quote from: Darin Crofton on February 01, 2019, 08:44:27 PM
What is your drag #'s and what will you fish it at? Also, what's the difference in the 267 & 268?
Thanks, Darin

With the 5-stack that gear usually makes around 15lb. max. I'll fish it at 10lbs. and I spooled it with 30lb. mono. The 268 is just a wider version. 8)

Darin Crofton

Quote from: mo65 on February 01, 2019, 08:59:28 PM
Quote from: Darin Crofton on February 01, 2019, 08:44:27 PM
Thanks, Darin

With the 5-stack that gear usually makes around 15lb. max. I'll fish it at 10lbs. and I spooled it with 30lb. mono. The 268 is just a wider version. 8)

Thanks Mike!

Gfish

I like how you shaped the second dog spring. A 1/2 frame on a Penn, is a good frame. Mo, are these puppies made in the US?
That-there purple Cal's is probably right for the present ambient temps in yer neck a the woods.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on February 01, 2019, 09:38:11 PM
I like how you shaped the second dog spring. A 1/2 frame on a Penn, is a good frame. Mo, are these puppies made in the US?
That there purple Cal's is probably right for the ambiant temps in yer neck a the woods.

They are made in the USA. If you zoom on the last pic you can see it at the bottom of the tail plate. That spring shape takes up the slack in my dremeled slot...makes assembly easier. You're right G...the purple Cal's is for colder climates. He also says it's thinner than the tan, and indeed it is. I tried it on the main and pinion and it was too light. It just felt too "free" for a conventional. I have a feeling I'll love it in spinners. 8)

Reel 224

G Zooza that's a nice REEL! After you put the Mo touch on it  8)

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Donnyboat

Nice work Mike, that reel will last for many many years, & hopefully catch many good fish for you, thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

thorhammer

Darin Crofton

BTW, Mike it's not the first time you've built a reel, shared it on here and I wanted to build one of my own, you do such a great job it's contagious!

mhc

Nice work with the dogs Mo, and the restoration with clear detailed photos is up to your usual excellent standard - thanks for sharing.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mo65

Thanks everyone for the compliments! Getting the nod from you folks tells me I've done something right. I hate to see parts for these old reels becoming more scarce. It's making it so costly to restore them that nobody wants to invest in it, even though this beefed up reel is stronger and will outlast reels costing three times as much.

Donnyboat

Hi Mike-MO, just looking @ the second dog picture again, I was thinking of maybe, the flat spring, the end away from the dog, having a right angle @ the end, would stop the spring from sliding away from the dog. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat