267: The Last Long Beach

Started by mo65, February 01, 2019, 08:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Quote from: Donnyboat on February 03, 2019, 06:42:35 PM
Hi Mike-MO, just looking @ the second dog picture again, I was thinking of maybe, the flat spring, the end away from the dog, having a right angle @ the end, would stop the spring from sliding away from the dog. cheers Don.

Hi Don. That spring wasn't sliding away, I added the "s" shape to keep it from falling out of the slot during reassembly. That slot is a bit wide from my amateur Dremel work. Also, the s-shape adds extra pressure to the dog's end when you squish it into the slot. It really makes that dog talk! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Good thanks Mike, you dont need a lot of pressure to make a dog pivot, I would`nt nock the job you done, just a sugestion. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Rothmar2

Just recently had a couple of Longbeaches that I serviced and did similar mods to, one was a 268.

The brass gear sleeves were in good condition, so I added an alternating extra dog in both, using some hardened brass Piston shim from a large diesel engine.

Process as follows....

Milling the sideplates on the drill press

Rough cutouts of the dogblanks from stock

Refining the dog shape

Almost there

Self made coil spring, with bridge installed. Pretty confident the spring will not pop out as there is sufficient overlap of the bridge over the dog/spring recess.

Serviced and all together

With the 268, there was still considerable side to side spool slop, even with the left end adjustable bearing screwed right in. This necessitated making a 3mm diametre shim, 0.8mm thick to drop into the right end spool bearing. The spool is now centered perfectly.
I also shimmed under the gear sleeve on both to take out the excessive clearance there. Other than that, just cleaning required on the posts and rings and other chromed parts. I advised the owner not to use excessive drag and trying to force the crank against it, to prevent rounding off of the gear sleeve ends. These reels are now ready for much more work.

Alto Mare

The Master at work!...very nice job on those dogs Chris!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Rothmar2 on February 22, 2019, 09:53:15 PM
With the 268, there was still considerable side to side spool slop, even with the left end adjustable bearing screwed right in. This necessitated making a 3mm diametre shim, 0.8mm thick to drop into the right end spool bearing. The spool is now centered perfectly.
I also shimmed under the gear sleeve on both to take out the excessive clearance there.

I had to do these same things to my 267. With the bearing bottomed out it still needed a shim to get the spool right.

Darin Crofton

I wish one of you guys lived close to me so I could learn some of this in person, one can only dream... ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Bill B

Good job guys, I picked up a 268 a while ago and just haven't figured out where it fits in my fishing arsenal...bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on February 26, 2019, 05:26:13 AM
I picked up a 268 a while ago and just haven't figured out where it fits in my fishing arsenal.

These 267s and 268s have so much spool capacity they kill at bottom fishing and deep drop situations. I can see where they would have been a lower cost solution to the 4/0 Senator on head boats. 8)

mo65

Just got back from using the 267 on a sea bass trip. It worked fantastic...no hiccups at all. It seems perfectly suited to the task. 8)

Darin Crofton

Way to go, Mike! Built you a sweet reel and put it to work, that's what it's all about brother!!!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mo65

Quote from: Darin Crofton on February 23, 2019, 06:23:53 AM
I wish one of you guys lived close to me so I could learn some of this in person.

You know anytime you have a question just send a PM Darin, and if I can't answer it, we'll poll one of the true gurus around here! 8)