Serious issue encountered with 112H double dog bridge!!

Started by rscotth, February 02, 2019, 03:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I used the bridge anyway with just one dog,still better than stock.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Reel 224

Everyone that has a Double Dog bridge from Pro Challenger (Alan Chui)

Here is a simple correction to right side dog, It took me exactly 5 Min. to do, with dikes (side cutter) and a file. That's it.

Here are three pictures to show there is NO interference at all, I even compressed the spring to show there is plenty of clearance.

Joe

Off the Hook Rod & Reel

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Black Pearl

I believe that it will hit the jack, Joe. Try to put that in with the reel and test it out.

Reel 224

I will test it Alan and if it needs a little tweak I will show what I did, but I'm sure it will be an easier fix for everyone who wishes to do that instead of shipping back a forth> IMHOP

Joe
Off the Hook Rod & Reel

Reel 224

Test on 112H Double Dog bridge, I have to say one thing before I start. This is not going to be a 1-2-3 fix.

I thought by shorting the dog leg at a angle was the interference that was the problem (1) did not work after testing. the clutch was still hanging up, I seen evidence of the Eccentric jack on the dog, so I narrowed down the dog in that area (2). After that the clutch still did not engage, but I noticed that when I loosened the top bridge screw a minute turn the clutch engaged (3) Now that isn't the fix. I have stopped for now. But the bottom line is.

It is not an easy fix. I also tried the bridge in the stock plate and that was No Go without modifying the plate for the other dog. Sorry I jumped the gun with saying I had a fix, but I was wanting to find an easy fix.

Joe

Off the Hook Rod & Reel

Reel 224

I'm brain storming and I"m going to try spacer material to see if that will work.

Joe

Black Pearl

Don't worry, Joe. We have a solution to address this issue.

Reel 224

Quote from: Black Pearl on February 14, 2019, 10:42:52 PM
Don't worry, Joe. We have a solution to address this issue.

I'm not worried Chuie, this is a challenge for me now to come up with a fix. I sure if I were to move the dog post and use a lief spring it would work, but I don't want to go that far. I have a few thoughts in my head. I'll try tomorrow.

Joe

Off the Hook Rod & Reel   

Alto Mare

I'm just getting home and these were sitting on my front stoop

As Ispeculated Tom did an amazing job on making the doouble dogs work...thank you Tom.

Too bad the bridge is not working out.

I did send one to Alan, but now I feel as I want to play with it a little more. Not promising anything, but I'm going to give it another shot at it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Not saying it can't be fixed, but I have spent considerable time trying a multitude of trials and eras and I will admit I haven't found one solution. I was really committed to find a fix that everyone could mange. I come up with 0. Sorry Alan I gave it my best shot without drilling and redesigning the bridge. :-[

Joe

Off the Hook Rod & Reel 

Alto Mare

Alan has the supposed fixed bridge in hand already, I sent it to him the same day I moved the pin.
The reason I wanted to get on these quickly, was to see if the new positioned dog will still work with Tom's plates.
Of course I have to start all over again and make another bridge as the one I sent Alan, i might not get to it this evening, as soon as I do I will post My results.

Sal

I just got done trying many dogs in different shape with no luck.
The dog post needs to be moved as previously shown.
I moved it only 3.5mm up and the pin for the spring didn't need to be moved.
The good news is that it will work in Tom's plates even after moving that dog.
I'll post a couple of pics sometime tomorrow.
I will be sending Alan this bridge as well, I like the idea of only relocating one hole by a couple of mm.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

moved the dog pin up about 3.5mm and left the spring pin as it was

the dog needed some minor customizing

and it is now working nicely

tested in Tom's plate and all is good

I will send this one as well, just in case.

Sal

franky

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 20, 2019, 07:54:35 PM
moved the dog pin up about 3.5mm and left the spring pin as it was
the dog needed some minor customizing

I like the angle of the dog much better now in this modification than the original design.  It sits much more in alignment with the angle of the ratchet teeth on the gear sleeve.

Good job Sal.  :)