Abu Garcia Reels lets post some pictures

Started by steelfish, February 02, 2019, 09:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tincanary

I wonder why Akios doesn't offer the 5500 frame with a level wind any longer?  I was wanting to buy one, saw they were out of stock and coming back soon, and now nothing shows on their website.  Kind of bummed as I was checking back frequently.

mo65

Quote from: tincanary on September 13, 2020, 01:28:34 PM
I wonder why Akios doesn't offer the 5500 frame with a level wind any longer?  I was wanting to buy one, saw they were out of stock and coming back soon, and now nothing shows on their website.  Kind of bummed as I was checking back frequently.

Same here tincanary...hoping those levelwind frames make a return. As it is currently, hardly any of the custom parts are in stock. Hoping there is a big demand so they turn out a fresh batch of goodies. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

new kids on the block, I mean in my arsenal.

now along with my 6500c3, 6600c, 7000c, 6500 Record 60, now abu garcia Low Profile, one for my youngest daughter Abu Garcia Revo Sx for fishing the bay and the big bro for saltwater, Abu Garcia Toro Beast 60 (around size komodo 364)

PS: love that purple reel you have there Sheridan, good job.
The Baja Guy

ReelFishingProblems

Sheridan, that reel looks great. I'm having a hard time holding off any longer. I have an old flat sided 5500C that needs to be upgraded.

tincanary

I fish this guy on a 4'10" ultralight for brook trout.  It's the lightest reel I own, coming in at 5 ounces.  The spool is also the lightest spool on any reel in production at the moment, weighing a measly 6 grams.  It's currently spooled with 4lb Maxima Ultragreen.

steelfish

Quote from: tincanary on September 14, 2020, 11:49:47 PM
I fish this guy on a 4'10" ultralight for brook trout.  It's the lightest reel I own, coming in at 5 ounces.  The spool is also the lightest spool on any reel in production at the moment, weighing a measly 6 grams.  It's currently spooled with 4lb Maxima Ultragreen.

wow great BFS reel you have there.

I didnt knew Abu made a BFS reel, awesome.

its the UL rod also BFS factory made or custom?

The Baja Guy

tincanary

Quote from: steelfish on September 15, 2020, 12:13:56 AM

wow great BFS reel you have there.

I didnt knew Abu made a BFS reel, awesome.

its the UL rod also BFS factory made or custom?

The rod is a Major Craft Finetail.  I fish a lot of tiny creeks and the combo is very manageable with the close quarters that are common in that sort of environment.  It's great for throwing 1/16 and 1/8 jigs, crankbaits, spoons, and spinners.

mo65

Wow great BFS reel you have there.

I had to google "BFS"...I don't get out much...;D

steelfish

Quote from: mo65 on September 15, 2020, 04:16:37 PM

I had to google "BFS"...I don't get out much...;D

me either lol, but watch a lot of youtube fishing videos and those BFS appeared searching for some fishing videos, that particular way to fish is too extremely light for my taste on saltwater tho.
the lighter I would go is using a light bass setup for fishing spottedbay bass and triggers.
The Baja Guy

oc1

Quote from: mo65 on September 15, 2020, 04:16:37 PM
I had to google "BFS"...I don't get out much...;D[/color]

Yeah, me too,  I used to think I understood what 'finesse' means, but now I'm not so sure.
-steve

tincanary

I wish I could fish saltwater.  The Great Lakes are nice and bountiful, but none of the fish out there battle like those in the salt.  The hardest fighting fish we have are Lake Sturgeon, but even then I can imagine most salt species will give them a run for the money.  Even the freshwater barracuda (musky) fight like a log lol.

Gfish

Alright, Alex. Looks like they changed a few things on "the Beast". My 60 is about 3 yrs. old, without the adjustable handle or crossbar with holes. They had 3 handle options and I modified 2 of 'em for other reels. Do they still include extra handles?
Thanks to tincanary's post on polishing the cen. brake system(another thread), I did it yesterday and it functions much better/quieter now.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

Quote from: Gfish on September 18, 2020, 05:43:20 PM
Alright, Alex. Looks like they changed a few things on "the Beast". My 60 is about 3 yrs. old, without the adjustable handle or crossbar with holes. They had 3 handle options and I modified 2 of 'em for other reels. Do they still include extra handles?

I bought that Beast here from a Member, the reel is in pristine condition, I couldnt found any boat rash or scratches on it (happy camper) but it came with no box and no extra handles, I have no problem with that, I've always wanted this reel since few years but it was on the expensive side, now I found it for a reach-able price and couldnt lost the opportunity, I still have to test it with a fish, for now it will be paired with an Okuma inshore stalker rod and a Phenix BD 700h rod but already getting the components to building a 7'10" RS composite swimbait rod for it.

the power handle is nice, but for my intended purpose of the reel that is casting thousand times light lures to the rocks I think a counter balanced handle might feel better, I moved the handle to the closer hole to the knob but it still feel like a small jiggin reel not like a big low profile reel.
The Baja Guy

tincanary

Did this one for a customer of mine, 4th Ambassadeur he has purchased from me in the last year.  Handle and star wheel from Simon Shimomura, NOS Royal 4500 side plates, 5500 Pro Rocket frame, stainless main gear and hardened bronze pinion from Rocket Reel Company, new production 5500 C3 spool and line guide, Pro Rocket clutch washer and Bakelite brake blocks.  I love the way this one turned out.

mo65