Abu Garcia Reels lets post some pictures

Started by steelfish, February 02, 2019, 09:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Guys, plenty of pictures of Penn reels and Love them all but there is a nice number of fanboys of the abu garcia reels in the Ohana, lets see some pics of those beautiful reels that have mostly remained  the same through the pass of time.

all Abu Garcia ambassadeur reels are welcome, new model, classic style, vintage, etc.
I will start posting few pics of mines

my 6500c3 along a saltist 20h
my 6600c
The Baja Guy

handi2

I love those reels and have a bunch just to look at on the shelves. I will try to get some pictures posted. I have at least 30 of them. They are fun to up upgrade for maximum freespool.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

now its the turn of the Abu 7000C and the new kid on the bloc the Abu Record 60

next time I will try to take pictures of them on the battle field with a nice catch

The Baja Guy

mo65

Nice stable of Abu reels Alex! Here's my 5000D, a 5000B on an Ugly Stik Tiger, and a tweaked 5000C. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

exp2000

From my blog: Kimberley Rod amd Reel.

ABU 7000 Syncro from eBay Japan.

The Syncro has not seen production for at least 20 years now but it has always held a very special place in my heart of days gone by when you could drive your car out to the end of the jetty and no one would even blink an eye. Days when 8kg winter mackerel were plentiful for the taking if you could sneak them past the giant groupers lurking beneath the pylons.

And this is where the Syncro was in a class all of it's own. You see, turning the handle backwards 180 degrees would put the reel into a controlled freespool so if a large predator did show up, with just a flick of the handle you could easily "release" your quarry to make another run, thus evading the groupers. Meanwhile you could walk 100 meters down the jetty and get a second chance at landing it. That is, if it didn't get nailed by a shark waiting out wide in the current.

My old flat-mate, Darryl owned one of these back then so this was always a very coveted reel for me and now after 20 years I finally own one myself. It looks to be in superb condition so I cannot wait for it to arrive.

I wonder what ever happened to Darryl?

Comment Brett Stevenson

Hey I got it! Arrived in the mail today. I thought, no way could it look as good in the flesh as those eBay glossies. But hell yeah, it really does! A 20-30yo reel in absolutely mint condition.

Think I will encase it in a block of transparent resin and put it on the shelf :)

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

nelz

Here's one I really regret parting with! :'(
Old timer musky fishermen will recognize the etched logo.

oc1

ABU Record 2200 Expert from pre-Ambassadeur days.  Has freespool but no anti reverse or drag.

-steve

Gfish

Nice! What's everybody's favorite Abu?
Steve do you know the date yours was made?
This's a '73 5000. Casts surprisingly well. I'm impressed with the engineering on these. I wanted one with a minimum of plastic on it.
Probably not used too much and came from the N. Midwest(not used in saltwater?). It's got spool bushings and a 2 brake wt. centrifical cast control. I's thinkin maybe if I do any upgrades beyond c-tex drag washers, try b.bearings for the level winder. Whatdaya think?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

@nelz.  beautiful picture buddy and looks like a nice reel, no wonder why you regret selling it

@Steve, nice vintage abu reel, love that you put them to work while everybody else have them on the shelf, myself included

@Gregg, these reels are also like legos, many parts from one model fit into another making some unique and custom reels, also there are tons of aftermarket upgrades to make them better, I say go for those Bearings on the leverwinder and bearing for the cog wheel, those are upgrades I've been having pending on my reel too.
The Baja Guy

oc1

Quote from: Gfish on February 03, 2019, 12:47:47 PM
Steve do you know the date yours was made?
'52-'54.  The Record was old technology when it was new.  The 5000 came out in '54 and it was new technology.  The original 5000 is probably my all-time favorite fishing reel and I've used them off and on since high school.
-steve

festus

Among these are some oddballs you don't hear of often, the 5500KC3 and the 5500HCL, also the 550 Plus.  Made in Sweden but most likely cheapened for BPS, Kmart and Walmart.  Some have bearings, others bushings, some instant anti-reverse, others A/R dogs.

Around 2010 Dunn's Sporting Goods in Missouri was selling new 6000C for $45 plus shipping; no box or papers but never used.  I wish I'd ordered 3 or 4 more, because soon afterward the 6000C was discontinued. 

My favorite of the lot is this 5000B I bought new around 1977-78.  A very versatile reel, can be used for throwing lures for largemouth b@$$ and stripers/hybrids and smaller river muskie or bottom fishing for catfish, drum, carp, and buffalo. To my knowledge in the past several years there have been no 5000 series manufactured with the bait clicker unless ordered aftermarket from Jerry Foran. There were some 4600 series from the factory with baitclickers named the Kokanee Special but they're very scarce.

tincanary

Lunker Larry

Cleaned up. No parts added and it worked just like new.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?