Abu Garcia Reels lets post some pictures

Started by steelfish, February 02, 2019, 09:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Steve/Sal: The frame is from a guy who recently retired in England.  QTC frames on google.  Mag's from over there somewhere I don't recall.  Bought a chrome rocket for the side plates.  Ended up with two non-level wind surfcasters.  The QTC frames are used by competition distance casters from what I remember.  Very sold little reel.  Landed many fish during my years in Florida. 

Andy

Quote from: oc1 on February 17, 2019, 07:46:33 PM
Yeah Andy.  Looks like more upgrade than ABU.  I see the CT conversion plugs on the one but where did that one-piece frame come from?
-steve
><)))">

fishhawk

Might as well throw my 2 cents worth in.....wished there were more upgrades like for penn's!  hint hint

oc1

I love extra small reels and picked up this 1977 ABU 1500C a few months go.  Paid a hundred bucks which is more than I'm usually willing to spend but a little less than the going rate. On arrival it was found to have a bent stand and two bent stand posts so the spool was rubbing on the shroud.  It must have been dropped or walloped from above.  It was just set aside until now.

It's raining too much to do anything important so, while it was out for photos, I straightened out the stand and posts.  It has decent freespool now and should be good enough to fish with.  Some extraneous parts were also removed.  

The next step is to relocate the uppermost post forward to make more room.  I'm sure it can be done but keeping the quick take apart feature will be tricky.  Will probably end up with three instead of two thumb screws.

Then, finally, put a smaller handle on the thing.
-steve

Alto Mare

Thanks Andy!
A friend from Italy has shown some pics of Abu parts in the past, I just contacted him to see if he knows anything else.

Sal

He does not know that gentleman from UK. He said he had a bunch of replacement parts for ABU and sold most of them.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

@ Andy,  amazing solid frame amigo, now thats an upgrade from a 6500

@ Steve, cute small reel, I would have left the levelwind.
               wondering how long it measures the "power handle"  ::) :P
The Baja Guy

reel man

Haven't been able to have someone dig all my ABU's out for picks, but they're Pro
Rockets that have 5600 thumb bar frames installed, carbon fiber drags, and power handles so will bring yellow tail to the boat. Some were left in the 6500 models for deeper fishing applications.

It's my understanding the Pro Rockets were never exported to the US, but I've never had any problem finding parts.

mikeysm

That should be  a QTC frame from the UK. Here are my Abu reels. Here are my Abu reels.

Mike

Alto Mare

Cool reels Mike. I see the one in front doesn't have the lever wind, is it removable?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mikeysm

I converted it with a special post from the UK. The reel I modified completely with everything I could do for casting. The beast is extensively modified also.

Mike

steelfish

Quote from: mikeysm on February 18, 2019, 09:49:34 PM
I converted it with a special post from the UK. The reel I modified completely with everything I could do for casting. The beast is extensively modified also.

Mike

the beast looks like a beast indeed,
can you list the mods you have made in that reel?
The Baja Guy

mikeysm

The beast is just a updated inshore. It came with carbon drags. The pinion shaft has a special ceramic coating on it. I found stainless gears for a inshore that fit my beast. I installed a gear sleeve with a bearing. Also a ceramic pawl. Then added ceramic hybrid bearings. Then installed a aluminum idler gear with dual bearings. There are tons of upgrades for these reels. You just have to look for them.

Mike

basto

This is my only ABU conventional now. A 1974 model 12, made in 1983. Made for IGFA 12 lb class.
I love its chromed brass side plates and nearly everything inside is stainless.

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

basto

Here are a couple more I used to have. A 6500c3CT Mag Elite and a first model 10000c.

Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

oc1

I might have to stop looking at this thread.  You guys are pulling out some nice stuff and interesting ideas.  There's a craving coming on and I can't afford it.
-steve

steelfish

Quote from: oc1 on February 19, 2019, 06:17:34 AM
I might have to stop looking at this thread. 
-steve

you are trapped Steve, what has been seen cannot be unseen
The Baja Guy