Abu Garcia Reels lets post some pictures

Started by steelfish, February 02, 2019, 09:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Picked this up cheap at the flea market the other day. After alot of cleaning and TLC...

It got new CF drag from Smoooth, and a stainless steel handle from a Shimano Bantam. The thumb rest is missing (but I don't miss that).

I ended up removing the cruddy old information stickers that wrap around the side covers so now the reel remains an enigma to most.  8)  I think it looks much better without them though. All in all, I have a nice inshore beater reel for when I don't want to muck up my beauty queens.

Care to guess the model?

steelfish

The Baja Guy

fishhawk

Quote from: nelz on February 25, 2019, 09:39:59 PM
Picked this up cheap at the flea market the other day. After alot of cleaning and TLC...

It got new CF drag from Smoooth, and a stainless steel handle from a Shimano Bantam. The thumb rest is missing (but I don't miss that).

I ended up removing the cruddy old information stickers that wrap around the side covers so now the reel remains an enigma to most.  8)  I think it looks much better without them though. All in all, I have a nice inshore beater reel for when I don't want to muck up my beauty queens.

Care to guess the model?
year or make? If it's make i'm not betting! looks like some kind of 5500 cs mag????? This reel does look good w/out stickers.Is the color gunmetal?

orsteelheader

Enjoy the ride!!!

nelz

Quote from: steelfish on February 26, 2019, 12:06:57 AMmy best bet is an abu 6500c3

Yes-sir, of course you would get it given your opening post on this thread. This is probably a bit older model than yours, but it does have infinite AR.

Robert Janssen

mhc

That 30 looks pristine Robert, has it been used or even had line on it?

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

thorhammer

Robert Janssen

That 30 looks pristine Robert, has it been used or even had line on it?

Mike

Oh yes, I think so anyway. I used to have a pristine, unused one. Sold it and bought this one instead as something that could actually be used instead of just being a shelf queen.

Come to think of it, this might have a lightweight aluminum spool I made in it; maybe that is why it is so shiny.

I also made a stainless box for it.

gstours

Wow 😲 Robert,  you are over the top.    Seriously  :o

steelfish

Quote from: Robert Janssen on February 26, 2019, 06:59:25 AM
Ambassadeur 30

wow, now thats a unique Abu

and amazing job on the new aluminium spool

The Baja Guy

54bullseye

Very nice Dr. Rob !!! I have a 20 and a 30 Abu as well but condition not as good !!  Nice REEL !!    John Taylor

steelfish

Quote from: nelz on February 26, 2019, 02:32:40 AM
Quote from: steelfish on February 26, 2019, 12:06:57 AMmy best bet is an abu 6500c3

Yes-sir, of course you would get it given your opening post on this thread. This is probably a bit older model than yours, but it does have infinite AR.

it wasnt that hard, the 6500c3 was the 1st abu reel I have since many years ago and felt in love with the brand, I know every detail of it LOL
The Baja Guy

Darin Crofton

Here's a recent pick, don't know diddly about Abu's, but thought it was a cool bundle anyways. If anybody wants this package let me know, I thought my brother would want it for his lake, but he just bought a bunch of new bass gear and doesn't need it. Here's what the guy wrote down for me:

Abu Mag 523 & 323

Abu 523 and 323, reels were made about mid 1980's and are in mint condition.
Magnetic cast control instead of bushings. Level wind and a few magnets removed
from tournament distance casting reel; also custom crossbar attached.
Backup reel in stock condition; like new, never used, with spare spool.
Spare parts, handles, gears, lube, drags, parts diagrams, etc.
With original boxes.
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Alto Mare

Doc, I had no idea you also make your own spools...amazing stuff, you can pretty much make the complete reel from scratch.
Didn't the 30 inspired you to make a mini version, or am I imagining things?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.