Abu Garcia Reels lets post some pictures

Started by steelfish, February 02, 2019, 09:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Quote from: Robert Janssen on February 26, 2019, 04:34:04 PM
..... Come to think of it, this might have a lightweight aluminum spool I made in it;.....

Lightweight is a bit of an understatement, 222gms compared to 624gms for the stock spool is a significant reduction of 402gms (around 14 oz). I think Jack Erskine was doing a similar modification to these big Ambassadeurs, back when they were used more.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 26, 2019, 11:37:26 PM

Doc, I had no idea you also make your own spools...amazing stuff, you can pretty much make the complete reel from scratch.
Didn't the 30 inspired you to make a mini version, or am I imagining things?

Sal

Yes, that is right. I named it the Ambassadeur 3.0 HST. There are a few threads at various forums about it. Just google it; you should find it easily.

Quote from: mhc on February 27, 2019, 11:27:10 AM

Lightweight is a bit of an understatement, 222gms compared to 624gms for the stock spool is a significant reduction of 402gms (around 14 oz). I think Jack Erskine was doing a similar modification to these big Ambassadeurs, back when they were used more.

Mike

Yeah, I talked with him about that once upon a long ago. He made a few spools too, but i don't know what they looked like. Maybe not quite as ambitious as this one; this was really quite a lot of work. I still have callouses from the rotary table. It could have been simplified and had some more weight shaved off.

Robert Janssen

Ambassadeur 3.0 at work

Robert Janssen

ABU 999.
Three speed spinning reel.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

mhc

Quote from: Robert Janssen on March 01, 2019, 07:55:38 AM
Ambassadeur 3.0 at work

It's no secret I've been fascinated by both the detailed design and machining skills needed to create this working scale model of the Ambassadeur 30 since I first saw it. To see it 'wet and working' just confirms the brilliance of your work. Thanks for the inspiration.

Mike    
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

oc1

Quote from: Robert Janssen on February 27, 2019, 06:26:33 PM
I named it the Ambassadeur 3.0 HST. There are a few threads at various forums about it. Just google it; you should find it easily.

http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?t=12783

The all-time greatest fishing reel post ever..... bar none.  Since I love small reels the finale was spectacular.

-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: steelfish on March 01, 2019, 09:14:39 AM
Quote from: Robert Janssen on March 01, 2019, 07:57:28 AM
ABU 999.
Three speed spinning reel.

Wow  3 speed reel

How it switch speed ?

A knurled sleeve on the handle/main gear stem housing. It was actually made by Zangi of Italy, though, and called the 3V. ABU sold it as the 999.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handi2

I finally found the box of the 5000 baitcasting reels. I will get pictures tomorrow if my wife lets me.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

nelz

Quote from: oc1 on March 01, 2019, 08:12:25 PMhttp://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?t=12783
The all-time greatest fishing reel post ever..... bar none.  Since I love small reels the finale was spectacular.
-steve

I was wondering how huge of a perch that was. Turns out it was just a tiny reel! Absolutely amazing!

Darin Crofton

Just came in the mail, supposedly from 1968, I don't know much about ABU's but thing thing has a lot of character with it's see-thru spool and cool handle!
It's been on a shelf for 40yrs... it spins great and is smooth as heck. I want to service it, put some line on it and take it to my brothers lake and catch a bass or three...
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

nelz

Quote from: Darin Crofton on March 15, 2019, 08:22:50 PM
Just came in the mail, supposedly from 1968, I don't know much about ABU's but thing thing has a lot of character with it's see-thru spool and cool handle!

Hey Darin, she's a beauty. I learned a bunch working on Abu's they are a pleasure to work on. Btw, that's a removable arbor on the spool, allows you to put less line on.

oc1

Quote from: nelz on March 15, 2019, 08:29:57 PM
that's a removable arbor on the spool, allows you to put less line on.
... and reduces the overall spool weight so it casts farther.
-steve

Darin Crofton

thanks for the info, I had no clue about the arbor, going to put some 12# mono on it and go throw some crank baits to start...
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Midway Tommy

Neat reel and find, Darin!

Check the # on the bottom of the foot. The Black C was introduced to the public in 1967. Their serial #s started with 1001. The 3 screw model started in Jan '68 with a foot # close to 35100, +- 45. In June of '71 they went to the 6 digit foot #, mm,yy,lot, i.e. 087100-Aug'71first lot or batch. Maybe we can come close to when it was made.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)