Abu Garcia Reels lets post some pictures

Started by steelfish, February 02, 2019, 09:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 15, 2019, 09:43:40 PM
Neat reel and find, Darin!

Check the # on the bottom of the foot. The Black C was introduced to the public in 1967. Their serial #s started with 1001. The 3 screw model started in Jan '68 with a foot # close to 35100, +- 45. In June of '71 they went to the 6 digit foot #, mm,yy,lot, i.e. 087100-Aug'71first lot or batch. Maybe we can come close to when it was made.
foot has 148808 on it
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mo65

Great find Darin! I've been catfishing 5000s for smaller channels...love 'em! If you're used to bass fishing modern baitcasters you may find the 5000 a bit slow, but no worries, that gives you an excuse to seek out a 5500c! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Darin Crofton

Quote from: mo65 on March 15, 2019, 09:55:56 PM
Great find Darin! I've been catfishing 5000s for smaller channels...love 'em! If you're used to bass fishing modern baitcasters you may find the 5000 a bit slow, but no worries, that gives you an excuse to seek out a 5500c! 8)
Mike, I grew up bass fishing, but haven't done it much in years, it's been all about the salt for about 30 yrs.
It will be fun no matter what, hanging with my brother and using a similar reel that I used many moons ago...
How are the cats biting lately? or is it too cold where you live?

mo65

Quote from: Darin Crofton on March 15, 2019, 10:05:32 PM
How are the cats biting lately? or is it too cold where you live?

The fish are probably biting well...but we just can't get on the river. It's been swelled so high most of the shore access has been under water. Then when the water recedes all that mud is left behind. Things are settling out now...should get a line wet soon. We Crappie fished a lake the past 2 days, no big'uns but caught a good share. The ol' Penn 720z got it done again! 8)

Darin Crofton

specks are fun to catch, but much better to eat! glad you caught some buddy!

Midway Tommy

Mike, it is a 5000C. Click on the photo twice to blow it up, once for another window and then to enlarge it.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Darin Crofton on March 15, 2019, 09:52:19 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 15, 2019, 09:43:40 PM
Neat reel and find, Darin!

Check the # on the bottom of the foot. The Black C was introduced to the public in 1967. Their serial #s started with 1001. The 3 screw model started in Jan '68 with a foot # close to 35100, +- 45. In June of '71 they went to the 6 digit foot #, mm,yy,lot, i.e. 087100-Aug'71first lot or batch. Maybe we can come close to when it was made.
foot has 148808 on it

Probably mid 1970ish. According to ABU log books, #189010 is the highest serial number entered before lot numbers took over sometime in mid 1971. 067100....June 1971 is one of the earliest mmyylot #s known for 5000C after the numbering change.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

oc1

Darin, you know there are some upgrades for that reel.  Ball bearings for the worm, better idler and stuff like that.
-steve

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 16, 2019, 02:06:10 AM

Mike, it is a 5000C. Click on the photo twice to blow it up, once for another window and then to enlarge it.

Read my comment again Tommy. I'm sorry...but I'll have to fine you a Cardinal from your collection...HA!!! I think the 5000s were like 3.5:1 or so...the 5500s were 5.3:1.

Darin Crofton

Quote from: oc1 on March 16, 2019, 06:47:08 AM
Darin, you know there are some upgrades for that reel.  Ball bearings for the worm, better idler and stuff like that.
-steve
Steve, is there a website that sells all the upgrades in one place? Thanks for the suggestions!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on March 16, 2019, 01:22:41 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 16, 2019, 02:06:10 AM

Read my comment again Tommy. I'm sorry...but I'll have to fine you a Cardinal from your collection...HA!!! I think the 5000s were like 3.5:1 or so...the 5500s were 5.3:1.

Well I completely misunderstood the sentence as I read it that you were suggesting Darin to go looking for a C and I knew he already has one.   ;)  Which one do you want, no 3s, though?   ;D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Darin Crofton

Tommy, if you're sending a Cardinal to Mike make sure you put those special titanium washers in it like you put in mine ;) ;) ;)

oc1

Quote from: Darin Crofton on March 16, 2019, 04:37:45 PM
Steve, is there a website that sells all the upgrades in one place? Thanks for the suggestions!
I think they're scattered around.  Mikes Reel Repair, Dads Ole Tackle, Hedgehog Studio, Black Dog Tackle, Reel Custom Reels, etc.  It takes some effort.
-steve

Darin Crofton

Quote from: oc1 on March 16, 2019, 07:51:47 PM
Quote from: Darin Crofton on March 16, 2019, 04:37:45 PM
I think they're scattered around.  Mikes Reel Repair, Dads Ole Tackle, Hedgehog Studio, Black Dog Tackle, Reel Custom Reels, etc.  It takes some effort.
-steve
ok thank you Steve ;D

mikeysm

Japan tackle and the shipping is not bad . You will get the parts fast. Don't order from Mike's tackle you will wait forever. Japan tackle will ship right away.

Mike