Abu Garcia Reels lets post some pictures

Started by steelfish, February 02, 2019, 09:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Abus in pretty good shape have been going at reasonable prices on ebay lately, got this Abu 6000 in the mail today.  Probably made in the early 1970s, number on the bottom of reel foot is 730604.

I've already taken it apart, given it a good cleaning and strung it up with 17 lb Cajun Red mono.  No real open space here on the hill but I was getting 60 yd practice casts with a 1 oz bank sinker until I hit the top of the goat shed.

BTW, here's an old story in a Field & Stream written about the old red Abus.  https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/gear/2002/06/red-reel

nelz

Wow, she's a beauty. Those old red Abu's have the richest red finish of any reel to date. That's a June 1973, 4th revision.

Btw, if you're going to fish it, keep a look-out for high speed gear sets available for these reels.

basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

festus

Got me one more red Abu today.  Spooled her up with 12 lb. Viscious mono, found a 5-1/2' MH Rhino rod in the garage rafters, she's ready to go bassin'. This is a 5000A from the mid to late 1970s.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

festus

This red 6000 is the first reel I've bought since the pandemic.  Not really been much on ebay l've been interested in until this one.  Number on reel seat is 010902.  I have no idea what year this one was manufactured.  Plenty of spare parts included.

mo65

Jeez Louise Chester...that one looks mint! Nice buy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on May 15, 2020, 07:08:49 PM
This red 6000 is the first reel I've bought since the pandemic.  Not really been much on ebay l've been interested in until this one.  Number on reel seat is 010902.  I have no idea what year this one was manufactured.  Plenty of spare parts included.

Nice one, Chester! January, 1969, the second batch, i.e. variation.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

steelfish

nice reel

Abu ambassaduer are like a ferrari, they look awesome in red
The Baja Guy

Crow

This one just came to me, this morning. My cousin saw me in the yard, and said, "I'll be right back !". A few minutes later, he came back with two reels. A fly reel that had belonged to our Great Uncle, and this Garcia, that had belonged to our Uncle. Unfortunately, the Garcia was stored wrapped in a flannel rag...and drew quite a bit of moisture, over the years. I think when it's cleaned, the chrome will be pretty well gone, but, since it's a "family reel", as well as a "lefty", it'll have a home on my shelf (after a good "testing")
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Quote from: Crow on May 16, 2020, 07:15:00 PM
Unfortunately, the Garcia was stored wrapped in a flannel rag...and drew quite a bit of moisture, over the years. I think when it's cleaned, the chrome will be pretty well gone, but, since it's a "family reel", as well as a "lefty", it'll have a home on my shelf (after a good "testing")

I don't know Arlyn, that doesn't look like the deep seeded corrosion that is under the chrome. It kinda looks like the type that washes away and leaves you saying "what the @#&%?" :D  I see it has the dried on WD-40 also...that never bothers me...it is like a preservative coating. My advise is to spray the whole darn thing with fresh WD-40 and let it sit a while...then dish soap and warm water will take it all off. Then disassemble it for the internal cleaning. 8)

PacRat

I absolutely love Ambassadeurs but have any of you guys ever landed a west coast yellowtail on one? I used to travel with a 6500 because it was light and I could drop it in my suitcase. I used it in Venezuela for peacock bass and I used it in Florida for amberjack and grouper. I always had a blast with it. Then one day I thought I'd give a whirl at San Clemente Island. I did land two yellowtail and a WSB but it was work (and a little terror). I was using the Amassadeur (which I brought for calico bass) because it had 20 lb mono and I could cast a mile with it. I just remember the deck-hand hollering, "MURDER THAT FISH!" my drag was buttoned down and I was anticipating the dainty little brass main gear blowing up at any moment but it never gave up. After the trip I tore it down and nothing was damaged but I know it was pushed to the absolute limit. This was before I discovered this group so I'm better prepared now and I have gear that's better suited. Fun reels and a dream to cast.
I use to take three 5500's with 10, 12, and 15 lb line on the CA charter boats. In a sketcht bight I could drop down light and toss plastics from the bow while everyone else was fighting for real estate at the stern. When the deck-hand would notice they would ask to try my rig for a few casts and they would usually reply something like, "Damn THAT'S fun!"

ReelFishingProblems

This 5500C is my first Ambassadeur. I got it for a pretty good price. It had a coating of dried WD-40 that was easy to clean up. I switched out the drag with CF and am getting ready to load it with line. Can't wait to catch a fish on it.

mo65

That 5500c is my brother's all time fav for catfishing. They cast great, and have good power for what they are. A classic design for sure. 8)

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: mo65 on May 17, 2020, 04:46:27 PM
   That 5500c is my brother's all time fav for catfishing. They cast great, and have good power for what they are. A classic design for sure. 8)
I plan on using it for catfish in the Potomac River (DC). You're kinda the catfish guru, what line would you use?