Abu Garcia Reels lets post some pictures

Started by steelfish, February 02, 2019, 09:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on October 23, 2020, 10:51:41 PM
I have definitely gone down some very expensive rabbit holes on Penn Reels. They are my favorite in my collection. I planned on buying a full frame Akios for just under $300, but thought I would learn a lot more by seeing how the parts are interchangeable, or not. Let me set the record straight, I am not trying to pay $1K for a $200 6500CT made out of parts. However, if I never get my hands dirty, I'll never learn what I sought out to know.

I have a beautiful 5000C that is in its stock form except for CF drag washer. It is so much fun. I have a collection of vintage reels in stock form, but like so many of the Ohana, I like to tinker.

Before I forget, I do love learning from those who came before me. I will try to soak up your collective knowledge like a sponge.

Here's to another adventure,

Nick

well said, so.. just put pictures and your findings, thats what makes this site great
The Baja Guy

tincanary

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on October 23, 2020, 10:51:41 PM
I have definitely gone down some very expensive rabbit holes on Penn Reels. They are my favorite in my collection. I planned on buying a full frame Akios for just under $300, but thought I would learn a lot more by seeing how the parts are interchangeable, or not. Let me set the record straight, I am not trying to pay $1K for a $200 6500CT made out of parts. However, if I never get my hands dirty, I'll never learn what I sought out to know.

I have a beautiful 5000C that is in its stock form except for CF drag washer. It is so much fun. I have a collection of vintage reels in stock form, but like so many of the Ohana, I like to tinker.

Before I forget, I do love learning from those who came before me. I will try to soak up your collective knowledge like a sponge.

Here's to another adventure,

Nick

If you have a Dremel and some metal polish, you can get quite a bit more out of it as it is.  Polish the spool cap shims, inside of the line guide, line guide pawl, spool shaft ends, brake drum, inside of the pinion gear, worm gear end, and idler gear stud.  Use a tiny drop of oil inside the spool bushings, small drop on the idler gear stud, two drops in the worm gear, one drop each in the spool caps, and the inside of the pinion gear, and you'll have a screamer.  TSI 321 suggested.  Additionally you may want to use the lightest brake blocks available or even do without them altogether.  It'll perform pretty dang good and cost an hour of your time.  Here's my own personal 4500, two spool bearings with everything else polished, no brake blocks installed.  Keep in mind this is the more contemporary design with the fixed axle.  

ReelFishingProblems

Update on my 1970 Abu 6000 project. I have purchased for reasonable prices a lot of parts to see what fits and what doesn't. I'm sure I could learn the same thing by reading the history of different Ambassadeur models, but I'm more of a hands on learner. In the end, I put ABEC 7 bearings in the Abu 6000, and will probably do the bearing upgrades for the level wind. It is really a beautiful reel and I will do all the tuning steps that tincanary talks about. Up to now I just did some 0000 steel wool polishing, which still has made remarkable improvement.

As for the pile of parts... kind of like Alex said, I could build a complete reel. So I have a beautiful set of side plates for a 6500 C3 CT MAG, a CT cage, a spool with bearings and axle, a power handle, and a brake plate from a 5500C3. Now all i need is a new drag plate, sleeve, magnetic holder, some screws, upgraded CF washers, and a speed bullet bushing for the axle... all in all after totaling the cost of parts and shipping it comes out to the cost of a complete 6500 C3 CT... not too bad. Not too smart, but not too bad. And now I think I understand the design changes of the Ambassadeur reels over the last 50 years. Way cheaper than the cost of a college class.

I'll post pictures of the reels when I get the remaining parts. If anyone has a speed bullet they could part with, I would be more than grateful. 

Nick

tincanary

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on November 07, 2020, 03:21:20 PM
If anyone has a speed bullet they could part with, I would be more than grateful.

The speed bullet is a cheap part new, something like $3.  Take a Dremel and polish the flat surface that faces towards the spool then give that same surface a shot of TSI 301.  Additionally, do the same to the axle where the spool pinion makes contact.  She be screamin' captain.  This removes a lot of the friction that comes from the spool pinion making contact with the speed bullet as well as the friction from riding on the axle.

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: tincanary on November 07, 2020, 03:38:42 PM
Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on November 07, 2020, 03:21:20 PM
If anyone has a speed bullet they could part with, I would be more than grateful.

The speed bullet is a cheap part new, something like $3.  Take a Dremel and polish the flat surface that faces towards the spool then give that same surface a shot of TSI 301.  Additionally, do the same to the axle where the spool pinion makes contact.  She be screamin' captain.  This removes a lot of the friction that comes from the spool pinion making contact with the speed bullet as well as the friction from riding on the axle.

That's great advice thank you. Is this for the extra long speed bullet that seem to only be found in England, or the shorter ones you can get from eReplacementParts?

nelz

Swami805

And where does it go?  I got one with some other parts I bought
Do what you can with that you have where you are

ReelFishingProblems

It is a brass bushing to go on the axle and fits into what I would call the bearing cap on the non-handle side, tincanary, correct the record if I misspoke .  

tincanary

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on November 07, 2020, 07:01:11 PM
It is a brass bushing to go on the axle and fits into what I would call the bearing cap on the non-handle side, tincanary, correct the record if I misspoke .  

People tend to use it interchangeably, speed bullet is the term I often hear, but Abu refers to it as the spool shaft bushing.  The part I was referring to is the Abu factory part that comes in reels with the palm side spool tension knob.

ReelFishingProblems

The speed bullet / spool shaft bushing i want to add to the 6500C3CT is part number 23500.  I posted a picture below. Also is a little sketch of how the Abu spool shaft bushing fits on the spool. The longer one allows you to take off the plastic cog gear which isn't needed since there isn't a clicker or a level wind.

Swami805

tincanary

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on November 07, 2020, 09:52:32 PM
The speed bullet / spool shaft bushing i want to add to the 6500C3CT is part number 23500.  I posted a picture below. Also is a little sketch of how the Abu spool shaft bushing fits on the spool. The longer one allows you to take off the plastic cog gear which isn't needed since there isn't a clicker or a level wind.

Ah there we go.  Reels with the bait clicker use the spool shaft bushing.  The spool pinion is needed to actuate the clicker.  Mag reels usually have no clicker and will use the speed bushing shown.  The Magtrax brake used in some models will not work with a clicker due to clearance issues.

Swami805

I bought a lot of abu's and one is a 2500c, nice little reel, very much like the 3500 on the inside but very different on the out side.  This ones in pretty good shape

Sharkb8

I have a small collection of ABU's reels a 5,000 and a 10,000 a black 6,500ct which is the only one I'm using at the moment and I only had it a couple of months and it has caught a lot of squid, snook and 3small bronze whalers. I got a chrome rocket 6,500cs last week for $80 and it's in good nick the guy only used once.

Kim

thorhammer

80 for a Rocket ...piracy!!! nice reels!

John