112 3/0 (Black) Drag Washers

Started by Tyee II, March 11, 2019, 03:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyee II

I recently opened up a 112 3/0 ( black ) to do maintenance. This has the deep main gear and inside I found the likely original thick hard washers. I would like to know if there is a combination of HT 100 and metal that would be a better stack than the original. I was able to get these apart in one piece so for now I have installed a delrin washer under the gear and cleaned up and greased the original stack. The drag seems to be fairly strong but I have not put a scale on it yet. I will after I respool. Any recommendations ?

RowdyW

You can increase the 3 stack of 6-113hsp to a 5 stack by using five 6-60 drag washers & getting 1 extra eared & 1 extra keyed washer. That will also increase your drag pressure.         Rudy

Tyee II

Thank You I was guessing there was a combination of more recent washers to update/upgrade with.

thorhammer

He means with Penn 6-60 carbon fiber (HT100) which are thinner.

Tyee II

Shark Hunter

Go to mystic parts.
Maureen will hook you right up. ;)
You need a 5 stack drag in that reel.
Not a three, been there, done that. ;)
Life is Good!

Tyee II

The existing 3 washers are nearly 1/8" thick and rock hard. These must be original. Replacing with HT 100s
with the appropriate washers makes sense.

thorhammer

put Cals drag grease (also from Mystic) on the carbon drags when you put them in. no comparison.

Bill B

What these guys said.....you migth want to add a stainless steel gear sleeve, money well spent, and if you are planning on working on more Penn reels, get one of the Boss's handle nut wrenches too.  And Welcome to the Darkside.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!