Upgrades for a Penn 113h 4/0 Special

Started by SevenYearsDown, February 03, 2019, 06:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SevenYearsDown

We recently got a 4/0 Special with a narrow tiburon frame. Also came with an aftermarket handle which feels very nice. No other upgrades have been done. What other things can I do/change to beef up the reel besides a new drag stack (will get one of those new carbon tex drags). Also can anyone point me out to a post with pictures on how to service and clean this reel? Planning to use this on Half-day to 1.5 day trips out in San Diego.  Thank you.

Bryan Young

Quote from: SevenYearsDown on February 03, 2019, 06:24:57 PM
We recently got a 4/0 Special with a narrow tiburon frame. Also came with an aftermarket handle which feels very nice. No other upgrades have been done. What other things can I do/change to beef up the reel besides a new drag stack (will get one of those new carbon tex drags). Also can anyone point me out to a post with pictures on how to service and clean this reel? Planning to use this on Half-day to 1.5 day trips out in San Diego.  Thank you.
Check his posting out. Should give you a good idea what can be done.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3083.0
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SevenYearsDown

I am halfway through it, so I think what I need for this is the stainless steel parts as what I have now has brass. BTW is the handle not supposed to go down all the way or am I missing a washer?

Benni3

I like the 4 to 1 gears,,,, :D but it's just how your going to fish it,,, ;D

RowdyW

By the looks of the top hat your drag stack is to short. What is that washer under the handle? It looks like you have a double bellville washer setup under the handle. Disassemble the handle & washers in order so we can see exactly what you have there. Lay them out in the order of disassembly.       Rudy

SevenYearsDown

RowdyW

What is under the star wheel? It should be a thick bellville washer. Toss one or both of the thin bellvilles. In between the star wheel & top hat doesn't look right. The top hat also is setting to low. You probably need an extra keyed washer on top of the drag stack.

SevenYearsDown

Those two washers were underneath the star drag. Hmm, so there are parts missing. Time to source them.  Is this use able as is or should I just wait?

RowdyW

If it seems to be working then use it but turn down the star wheel so you can tighten down the handle all the way. Then back off the star against the handle. The correct order of assembly starting from the handle screw is ---- handle screw, handle, one or no thin bellville washer, star wheel, one thick bellville washer, then top hat. Upper edge of top hat should be very slightly above the hole in the plate with the drag backed off. 

Cuttyhunker

This is a teardown reassemble youtube vid for the 113H

Doomed from childhood

Alto Mare

Not a bad video, but he should really do a little better job, I'm not talking about his knowledge on servicing the reel.
He's working on someone's reel and keeps dragging it on the wood bench with no protection.
He should also consider putting that plate flat, so the tip of the screwdriver won't slip and scratch the plate, also this is the second time someone has posted his videos and I never see him removing the bearings.

I guess turning a phillips head screwdriver a little would let him know if that bearing is good or not :-\.

Not knocking him, just a personal observation
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

franky

;D

Donnyboat

yes Sal, made me cringe when he placed the tail plate, on the edge of the orange tray, maybe the tray was plastic, but I think it was steel. I also like to roll the screws in grease head & threads, and a smear of grease on the end of the spool, and plates. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Reel 224

Interesting to see someone else's work>

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

JRD

It's easy to grade some one else's work.  I'm cringing and shaking my head, and yet if it's working for him and his customers so be it.  Like most of us I would guess I learned what I know from Alan and a few others so for me that's the "right" way because it works and makes sense.  I do some things different and sometimes go further than what I've learned here when servicing reels but that's my OCD kicking in.  At least he knows a quality wrench when he sees one.  😁