Accurate BV2-1000

Started by charlestonredfish, February 04, 2019, 04:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlestonredfish

I have always like accurate reels and thought highly of their product. Looking to outfit my boat I saw the BV2-1000 reel and was intrigued as it seems to have the specs of something like a talica 50 but in a much smaller and lighter package which would allow me to only buy 6 outfits opposed to 10 (6-30 class and 4-50 class). I do a lot of trolling on the east coast and the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is the anti reverse bearing instead of a dog and worried about that holding up when trolling harder pulling lures and such.

I don't have much experience with the larger accurate reels and wanted to know y'all's thoughts on the anti reverse bearing. Is it something to worry about, or am I over thinking this?

Thanks in advance

redsetta

Hi and welcome CRF,
This is what Accurate had to say about the new Valiant and its applications (on BD), which seems to get to the crux of your question:
Quote...the most notable differences between the Valiant and the Dauntless are the weight and lack of dogs. When we designed the Dauntless, we designed the highest end reel we could for the size. As a result we have back up dogs in those reels to provide redundancy and the ultimate stopping power.

The Valiant is essentially a Boss Xtreme reel that we redesigned to be much lighter. By reshaping the reel we were able to cut a ton of weight while keeping its strength. Due to the stainless steel ARB, if you were to end up in a situation where the ARB failed (which we have not had with the exception of reels that were not maintained and salt got in the reel and corroded it), if you had a dog in there you would likely rip it out as well.

Dogs are standard across the industry for higher end reels because the ARB is not as reliable, but with our ARB, dogs are not necessary. Personally, I prefer the Valiant because it is so much lighter than anything else around. As mentioned previously, several very large yellowfin have been landed on the larger size Valiants, but I would be remiss if I did not clarify that these reels are not ATD's. They are not intended to be. If you want to go target cows consistently, I would still recommend an ATD. However, as everything from a swimbait reel (BV-300) to a great island reel (BV-500) to a great heavier bait or trolling reel (BV2-800 or BV2-1000) there is a Valiant that will fit your needs.

It is mostly up to personal preference on which reel you go with, as you really cannot go wrong either way with these two reels, as they are both made in the USA from the same aircraft grade aluminum and both have features like sleeved spools for great freespool. Like I said, I prefer the Valiant, but we do have Pro Staff guys who swear by the Dauntless, so it depends on what you want.
Hope that's of some assistance.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer