diawa tournament 50 SLT - is there a tutorial ?

Started by Navidad Nutcase, February 05, 2019, 12:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navidad Nutcase

Hi everyone,  I just acquired a diawa Tourny 50 slt and went going the 28 pages of Diawa postings, I never saw one thing mentioned about this or any turney reel. Is this reel so good it never breaks down  ;) ;) or so bad NOBODY has one ?
I have a schematic and it seems like quite a few parts compared to a 50 PENN.  Anybody know what kind of drag material is used and perhaps the years they were made ?  I will not have time to open the reel for a month or 2 but would like to know what I am in for.  Thanks for any advice.  I may be a bit tardy reading or replying. Heading for Manzanillo for a month of fishing what every  bite. Billfish ,catch tag and release. Tuna , catch BBQ and enjoy.
Cheers
Greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

alantani

sorry, they are actually that bad.  i don't think daiwa will even work on them anymore.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Navidad Nutcase

thanks Alan. For the honest advice. I will take the reel with me and fish it until I need an anchor. what kind of drag material is inside ? cloth or is it an asbestos era reel .

And the fish are in Manzanillo now so with any luck they should be there next week too.

Greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

nelz

Quote from: alantani on February 05, 2019, 01:01:08 AM
sorry, they are actually that bad.  i don't think daiwa will even work on them anymore.   :-\

What's so bad about them? Beautiful looking reels.  ???

alantani

they were horrible to work on.  i can't even remember if they had carbon fiber drag washers or not.  they possibly did not. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Robert Janssen

No they did not, but lest there be no confusion between these SLTs from the late '80s and later but entirely different reel with the similar name from the 2000s.

See http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2659.0

Navidad Nutcase

I just went back to this thread. Glad I did. I opened the link and my reel looks like the one in the picture. Is there a way to tell if this reel of mine is 1 of the better ones ? I'll enclose a picture. Thanjs all.
Greg

Navidad Nutcase

Just to give anyone who is interested, an update -  thru the encouragement of a member here, I dove into this reel and was pleasantly surprised at what I found. This reel is every bit as good as the penn 50's of that era and this particular reel is in very good shape inside. I surmise that at least one of the owners before me does not take the clicker of when a fish makes a run. The ONLY thing inside showing excessive wear was the race track for the clicker. everything else is prestine .
It has an asbestos drag washer glued in place on one side - not floating like the Penns. The bearings are tight , gears show no wear neither does the S.S. drag plate. All in all a good find. I am sorry it did not occure to me to take photos. I am going to upgrade that drag and will be more attentive to pictures. I may even tackle my first tutorial.
This is deffinately not the reel Alan is refering to when he said they are not good quality. Which bring me to ask .... why would Diawa go from this top quality product TO the one Alan is refering to? Makes no sense.
  Does anyone else have one of these 1980's circa Diawas. They made a 30, 50, 50W, 80, and 80W according to the schematics available on Mike's reel Repair webpage.
Cheers Greg

joel8080

I had a SLT30 and sold it a few years ago there a really nice reels, any way I was going thru a box of parts and I found parts still in the original bags including a new drag plate and a lightly used one.

If any one has a SLT send me your address and I will send them to you.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

Navidad Nutcase

That's very generous of you joel8080, Considering any parts for these old tanks are impossible to obtain. I've been on ebay for 2 months searching - no luck. I sure could use a new racetrack for a 50 but that's about it. As I said in my post, this reel is super clean and no wear except for that plate. To have the alert on while fighting fish would drive me crazy, but I've been with guys who do. I reach over myself and give it a flick otherwise I'd have to go fore and miss all the fun.
Greg