American Stove Company Range

Started by Bill B, February 05, 2019, 03:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

The wife and I bought a house in Crestline, Ca from the daughter of the original owner/builder.  What started as a 1bedroom cabin he built into a 3 bed house, beginning in the late 1930's.  The range was reported to have been bought from the Wrigley (chewing gum) family in Lake Arrowhead, Ca.  We use this range daily for family meals.  With 2 main burners, 4 medium burners and 2 warming burners, main oven, 2 side ovens and warming box, there is enough room for even my Italian grandma to cook a Christmas dinner.....we hosted 4 families for Christmas and there was never a hiccup. My wife and the other wives sure put it to the test.

14 game hens, mashed potatoes and gravy, roasted sweet potatoes, stuffing and what not.....good time to be Italian 😍
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bill B

More photos
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Darin Crofton

Now that is a serious stove and piece of history, I'm envious to say the least! What time is dinner???
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

My mom had a range similar to that when I was young. I wish I had one now, they cook great.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Swami805

That is a serious stove/oven. A real beauty. It should last just about forever,it looks like it's just getting broken in.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Big Tim

conchydong

When I saw that in the other thread, I thought what a masterpiece! That stove is sure something to behold and treasure.

Scott

thorhammer

WOW. I bet that stove might cost more now that the cabin cost when built. Awesome.

Alto Mare

I was remodeling a kitchen last year and the homeowner called someone to pick up his stove. It was no were as gorgeous as yours Bill, but was similar in dimensions.

He did not get any money for it, he just wanted to donate it, since they were coming to get it out of the house for free.

I went out and had a short discussion with the guy and asked how much could they possibly give him at a scarp yard to make it worthwhile for him.
He said, oh no, I restore these. I usually put out $500 and get back $2000 to $3000.

Don't get rid of that stove Bill, just make sure the guts are in top shape.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

More like $15,000 for a stove like that today. Look it up,they have modern stoves that copy that stile.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

nice to see a propane stove user in USA and by the way, that Stove is a gem.

take care of that one Bill.

The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Porpane is quite common in the USA in fact my neighbor heats his home with it.

Joe

Keta

We have access to natural gas now but have been propane users in the past.  Our heat in Alaska was wood and oil but our water heater, cloths dryer and stove were propane.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain