some vintage reels to add to my collection

Started by steelfish, February 06, 2019, 01:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I traded my Quantum inshore spinning rod which it was one of my personal light spinning rods, good thing is that I no longer used that inshore rod cuz since a lot years ago I only use low profile casting reels for inshore fishing, I wanted to sell the rod and found I guy that made me an offer I couldnt say no, he offered me some vintage reels he had since I told them that I was always searching for old reels on the fleamarkets, I saw them and took them.
these next reels I will show might not have any collector or money value but they will look really nice along my really small vintage reels collection I have (only 4 reels).
Im really happy with the trade, it also gives me a perfect excuse to build me an inshore custom spinning rod.

so, just wanted to show them to you guys, if you have any information about those reels related to year of making, any collector value or if its just paper weight, etc please post it, it would be nice to know a bit more on any of those reels.

first of the bunch is this Berkley 4200 boxed reel with papers (this is my 1st vintage reel I have with box and papers so, it will be a special one), reel appear that might never been fished at all, it has some marks but that could be made from handling the reel all these years, it has line so, maybe it was used 1 or 2 times then boxed for the eternity, all chrome part is shiny as mirror, no single mark or sign of corrosion anywhere.

*****************************************************************************************

Second reel is a Pflueger SkilKast no. 1953, the spool axle/arbor have a lot of corrosion and greenish build-up but if you
spin the handle the levelwind goes 3 times a complete cycle back and forth with a sweet mechanical sound, dang!
a lot much better than any of my current abu ambassadeur reels LOL
the handle knobs are in really good shape and have that transparent effect like the ones from Sal or Ted, nice !

*************************************************************************************

also got this one, a  South Bend Bait Co. No. 775 Perfectoreno Nickel Silver Model A"
not in pristine shape but its in really good shape, few marks or small scratches here and there, but no signs of
corrosion, nice beatuful handle knobs with camo theme, in comparation with the pflueger this one one make 1/2 way
along the levelwind worm if you try to spin it with the handle

*********************************************************************************

next in line is ANOTHER ocean city reel, yep, outta the blue now I have 3 ocean city reels, its a ocean city 981,
pretty decent shape, some green stuff here and there, but it should clean up nicely, it will look great along the other
2 ocean city reels I have.

**********************************************************************************

and last but not least, a nice combo, seems that the rod never have the reel mounted on it, the reel is a
535 Ted Williams baitcasting reel, pretty much looks like a 4500 abu garcia, it has small and light marks here and there, and looks
like it was used for a bit but in excellent shape, everything works and the spool spins really nice
the reel was made in Japan and as far as I understand was a JV with Ted Williams and Sears Roebuck, Inc to produce some fishing
equipment under his name.
I dont know anything about reel ratio, drag, line cap, etc.

along that reel it came a fishing rod, an old Glass M-action rod, the reelseat looks like it has never had a
reel mounted on it, the chrome is as perfect as mirror, also the rod guides dont have any sign of corrosion at all,
only the tip, it surely made from different material cuz its all green by corrosion while the rest of the reels look as
shiny as brand new, the rod is 6ft long and only have 3 guides, I dont know what was the idea of the factory for only
installing 3 guides, I would put at least 5 guides there or 6, but I dont have plans to rebuild it, it will lost any collector
value if it has any.
with the rod it came a rod bag, since the rod has a detachable butt once in two pieces, the short section of the rod butt
could fit on the short space of the rod bag while the long part for the rest of the rod, the bag is toasted completely
but its part of that combo so, I took it.

rear grip is wood and foregrip is cork, at the end of the cork there is a cool logo/symbol that seems 3 crowns

and finally .. naah, that's it.

if anyone want to see a bigger pic of any reel, let me know, I will post it as attachment, which gives the
option of zoom.

The Baja Guy

Darin Crofton

Great trade brother, I especially like the new old rod, pretty cool stuff!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

happyhooker

Gotta check my basement; seems to me I have a Berkley the same or similar to your 4200.

Frank

oc1

Just because someone is asking $302 for a reel does not mean it is worth $302,
but....
]https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ted-Williams-535-Daiwa-Millionaire-OEM-used-operation-goods-from-japan-1928/113239995531?hash=item1a5da1348b:g:v2QAAOSwk6dblWIF:rk:2:pf:0]

The Japanese can be very optimistic sometimes.

Good trade Alex.
-steve

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Hardy Boy

Nice Alex. I like old reels and have a few but I just go with what I like and don't worry about the value either..... just enjoy!

Cheers

Todd
Todd

steelfish

Quote from: Hardy Boy on February 06, 2019, 02:45:05 PM
Nice Alex. I like old reels and have a few but I just go with what I like and don't worry about the value either..... just enjoy!
Cheers, Todd

I feel you broda', its nice to have a part of the history on my desk, it doesnt matter if they have any value for someone as collector item or not, if they could talk they will tell the most interesting stories, sometimes I just take one, spin the spool, crack the handle few times and that put the stress out from my head as magic, then Im back to work.

the ted williams rod is pretty cool, the guy that made the trade with me did it cuz he knows I take care of my things, he likes to help the local kids with free gear to start fishing, he found pretty cool things in fleamarkets and sell used fishing gear locally, during this last 3 years I have given him some rods and reels to make a package of a rod and reel, line and hooks for kids than dont have the money to get one.

The Baja Guy

Miles Offshore

Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Alto Mare

You did good Alex! now don't get too attached or they'll multiply quickly ;D

Enjoy them!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

happyhooker

Quote from: happyhooker on February 06, 2019, 03:25:23 AM
Gotta check my basement; seems to me I have a Berkley the same or similar to your 4200.

Frank

Nah, what I was thinking might be a 4200 is, in fact, a 4201A.  Advertised as an "adapter" reel, because Berkley had an adapter by which you could use, in place of a regular reel spool, one of their store-bought line spools on the reel.  Easy to change line weights, but limited to about 100 yds. of line.  They made the adapters for various non-Berkley reels (you see them once in awhile for sale on the big auction site) too.  Must not have been a real big hit.  This 4201A seems like a decent reel for the time, but I got it with a broken handle and the main gear inside is shattered too.  Funny, the reel body looks brand new; I wonder if somebody let the grease harden, then tried to turn the handle, maybe forcing it and breaking the gear and the handle both.  The pics show the reel with the line adapter in place; spool of line still shrink-wrapped.

Frank

steelfish

Quote from: happyhooker on February 08, 2019, 09:50:35 PM
Easy to change line weights, but limited to about 100 yds. of line.  They made the adapters for various non-Berkley reels (you see them once in awhile for sale on the big auction site) too.  Must not have been a real big hit.
Frank

cool reel and pretty interesting, too bad its not complete

dont you love how the company used a Heart as part of the logo? LOL
The Baja Guy

Donnyboat

Great trade Alex, nice old reels, like your reel to Frank, thank you both for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

happyhooker

[/quote]

dont you love how the company used a Heart as part of the logo? LOL
[/quote]

I don't know where the heart came from, but it was on a lot of Berkley stuff in the '80s.

Frank