Price of ringing new hooks

Started by Ron Jones, February 06, 2019, 04:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

I'm looking at hooks for this year, and am sold on ringed super motus. The way I do the math a ring is a quarter a piece. I'm thinking at least 200 hooks in various sizes (way bigger than I've used in years past.) That works out to $50.00 or more a year. My question is, can I get set up to ring my own hooks at a price that makes it worth my while?
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: Ron Jones on February 06, 2019, 04:03:47 AMI'm looking at hooks for this year, and am sold on ringed super motus. The way I do the math a ring is a quarter a piece. I'm thinking at least 200 hooks in various sizes (way bigger than I've used in years past.) That works out to $50.00 or more a year. My question is, can I get set up to ring my own hooks at a price that makes it worth my while?
The Man

Soldering rings is quick and easy.

You can get rings for less or you can make your own and a plus is you can re-hook iron with welded rings.. 

Small butane torch, $15.00-$25.00,

flux and 56% silver shoulder $37.00   https://www.amazon.com/Harris-Solder-Kit-5631-SSWF7/dp/B0799MY1KK/ref=asc_df_B0799MY1KK/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583795260805355&psc=1
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Vintage Offshore Tackle

day0ne

Or you can just buy Super Mutu's already ringed . They are all over ebay
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Keta

Quote from: day0ne on February 06, 2019, 06:23:08 AM
Or you can just buy Super Mutu's already ringed . They are all over ebay

And rather expensive.  Ringing your own hooks is quick, easy and saves money for fuel.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Ron,

I have a kit that Lee has been trying out, which includes a stand to ring 3 hooks at a time, and I believe 10 sizes of 100 rings if my memory is correct.  The rings were measured by weight, not count so the exact number of each ring is not the same per package between kits.

The kit is $75 plus shipping.  I think I made 20 kits.

For some of my personal thicker rings, I use recycled stainless steel bicycle spokes that I get at a bike shop, bend them on a stainless steel dowel, and cut with a cable cutter or spoke cutter.

I will post pictures shortly.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

I still use the 2x6 with 14 alligator clips when doing a large amount of ringing but the tool Bryan built works real well and looks real nice on my bench.  Not having to buy rings by the thousand (it looks like 5000 now) is a good reason to get one of Bryan's kits.  For most people the number of rings Bryan puts in his kits should last a lifetime.

After the last SOA trip I tried finding some heavy 3 way swivels to make dropper loop rigs with but could not find what I wanted.  I took 3 100#  swivels and ringed them to make my own high quality 3 way swivels.

I had a spring making tool that I used to make rings out of TIG rod but I loaned it to a friend and he died last year and no telling where the tool is now.

We need to do a video tutorial on ringing hooks and iron Bryan.

Mark Twain

gstours

Has anyone used these fluxed 3mm silver solder chips.  Amazon has some .  Priced 15$ p hundred.
    Just wondering.

Keta

Quote from: gstours on February 06, 2019, 05:23:28 PM
Has anyone used these fluxed 3mm silver solder chips.  Amazon has some .  Priced 15$ p hundred.
    Just wondering.

I haven't but I would think it would be hard to use for ringing.

Mark Twain

David Hall

looking for helpful advise and or humorous banter but I am struggling with brazing my rings something awful, I think that I am 0-10 right now. Using the correct flux, solder and torches, seem to get the material up to heat but my solder just balls up and does not flow. Im having another problem with ET shakes but thats another issue in itself.  I am now looking at jewelry tig or pulse welders, a fairly expensive up front cost of around $300 but wondering if anyone has tried them out for this, It looks like they cant weld a sold ring more than 1mm in a single pulse but require multiple pulses. anyone have any thoughts on this subject they would like to share?

MarkT

What kind of fishing are you doing so that you need 200 super mutus?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

oc1

Quote from: David Hall on May 30, 2022, 05:42:54 PMUsing the correct flux, solder and torches, seem to get the material up to heat but my solder just balls up and does not flow.
Use sand paper to get the ring material shiny clean.  Dab on the white paste flux.  Bring the heat up quickly until it is about to glow.  Keeping the torch  on the joint, touch a very thin piece of solder wire to the joint. If it does not flow it is usually because new scale has already formed and you need to proceed more quickly.

Keta

Muratic acid also cleans the rings.

Mark Twain

David Hall

Quote from: oc1 on May 30, 2022, 06:58:26 PM
Quote from: David Hall on May 30, 2022, 05:42:54 PMUsing the correct flux, solder and torches, seem to get the material up to heat but my solder just balls up and does not flow.
Use sand paper to get the ring material shiny clean.  Dab on the white paste flux.  Bring the heat up quickly until it is about to glow.  Keeping the torch  on the joint, touch a very thin piece of solder wire to the joint. If it does not flow it is usually because new scale has already formed and you need to proceed more quickly.

HMMM the flux I have is black Stay Silv high temp? I did get bit of success when I turned the rings so the joint is at the bottom when soldering.

jurelometer

Not that I am any good at it, but...

Solder flows toward  the heat, but not if the hot area is too large. If you heat too much, the solder can flow away from the joint. I have the best success adding solder just at the point when both ring edges turn red. Too hot would make sense for it working better upside down, as gravity would carry the solder toward to joint.

The black Harris Stay-Silv flux works for me. Even thinned it once with water when it stared to get crusty. Sanding with very fine grit (400-600) helps.  I do struggle a bit to get a smooth good looking joint every time especially with very small rings, but the solder always sticks to the stainless.  I am pretty sure that my horrible welding aptitude is the issue and not the materials.

The pulse welder seems kind of cool.  Since no material is added, it would seem that the challenge would be to get a smooth joint.  Also wonder if jewelry welders can get good all around penetration when the rings get up in the 12 and 14 gauge range.  Any part of the edges that are not welded could chafe leader.

-J